Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Why are summer camps so expensive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are summer camps so expensive?

Grumble, grumble complain.

I have tried looking for some special camps for Amanda this summer to work on academics and learning disability issues. Some of them are .... $6000 for 3 weeks. Can't do it.

Just complaining. Carry on.

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Holy shit! That is ridic.

Comment

Wow! That's expensive!
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Have you called the REACH program here? They may have suggestions (it also may be something to look into for her in the future).
        Jen
        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Scholarships?
          ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Sounds like everything costs more the older they get. Music class I think is 5 weeks this summer for $99. VBS is free. And I'm still looking at swimming lessons, that should be about $100 for several weeks.
            Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
            "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Originally posted by moonlight View Post
              Sounds like everything costs more the older they get. Music class I think is 5 weeks this summer for $99. VBS is free. And I'm still looking at swimming lessons, that should be about $100 for several weeks.
              Lol, you have no idea. It's not only more expensive but you have less options.

Scholarships are hard to come by because they are typically need based.
              Tara
              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Yes unfortunately the summer camps are just the tip of the iceberg... Kids get more expensive the older they get. I remember being so happy when my dd was potty trained bc I thought I'd have *so* much extra $ bc I didn't have to buy diapers. Lol.
                Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate View Post
                  Yes unfortunately the summer camps are just the tip of the iceberg... Kids get more expensive the older they get. I remember being so happy when my dd was potty trained bc I thought I'd have *so* much extra $ bc I didn't have to buy diapers. Lol.
                  I had that same thought when DD learned to pee in the potty. With 5 poop accidents yesterday I felt like I had a infant again. We could all aspire to be like my MIL and not pay for anything ever when her kids were younger. No one went to camp and no one got extra dental work- just cleanings. When shoes wore out, she painted them white again. And no they were not poor, just the tightest people ever. I honestly can't understand how a larger family could pay for all these camps for each child. I think that's been a real deciding factor in keeping our family small. I just don't think I can afford more kids.
                  Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                  "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Two weeks of Maggie doing our company's ballet intensive will be $650. Ella goes one week for $300ish. I feel your pain.
                    Veronica
                    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I think summer is freaking expensive! I start making payments on summer camps and activities in September. By the time I paid for a lacrosse league, vacation, pool membership, a few enrichment day camps and a couple of weeks of YMCA residential camps for the older kids, we are several thousand dollars in.

This summer childcare/camp industry probably lobbies damn hard to ensure year round school doesn't happen.
                      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                      X