Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

When the internet becomes an addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When the internet becomes an addiction

We have been fairly open about letting the kids use their devices without having any problems. For the most part, the kids control their own internet use.

Our problem is our 14 1/2 year old. His grades have dropped substantially this year and he is spending half the day/night on the internet playing minecraft, etc. Last year, this would have been easy for me to fix. I would have set the timer on the compute for him to 2 hours and that was it. This year, he got a laptop from the school. All of his notes and assignments are now on the computer and all assignments are to be turned in via schoology. There are few old-fashioned paper and pencil assignments anymore. His grades truly bite and he has multiple missing assignments. We tried taking his laptop (took an act of Congress and was ugly) and then 1 hour later he announced that he had a powerpoint to complete. We let him back on in the kitchen to do this and it took him forever. I don't have the time to stand and police him and couldn't always check what he was doing.

It is extremely difficult to get him to give us HIS computer. :/ It's a real battle. Everytime we have it, he makes the argument about his assignments being on it, etc.

We tried removing internet access for the whole household, but that affects other people in the house who need to be online. Amanda, for example, is rarely on the computer, but needs hers for access to schoology's dropbox and for doing her own assignments. Aidan has a math program online. It gets annoying to be flipping the router on and off. I thought about creating a guest account and only letting the kids logon via a guest account each day after chores/homework is done, but Thomas is worried we would forget the daily password and lock ourselves out of that option.

We are turning off the router at 10 so that he can't be on after that time....but I need help. He is truly addicted and can't control himself. How can I take control here?

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Can you delete the game or block access?

My sister has an iPad for school but says it is so locked down she couldn't do anything fun on it if she wanted to
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I'd talk to the school if it's their device. The whole point of the school owning the devices is so they can control that stuff. We also have chromebooks in the schools but the kids haaaaate them because they have "nothing fun" and limited access to anything on the internet.

Can you create accounts on the router for each family member, then hand out passwords? That way, you can just shut off the offender as needed. And issue a new password as needed.

It sounds like a PITA, though. I agree that it takes more parental energy to monitor electronics than its worth sometimes and I wish the schools weren't pushing them so much.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Ask the school to block it from anything he doesn't need.
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I know teenagers are way out of my purview, but having been a teen with poor time management skills, I wonder if there is any way to have a heart-to-heart with him about the consequences of his actions and figuring out ways to block out Minecraft time so that he can have that to look forward to and can use the rest of his time reasonably without feeling like he has to sneak in his "fun"?

Failing that, how far is the nearest public library? You could do a two-week internet fast at home and let them have unlimited access to the library's computers?

Alison

Comment

Wow Kris, that's tough. I can totally see that happening to a lot of kids. Heck, I'm on here and should be doing other things.

I agree about talking to the school. I'm with Angie that sometimes the push for technology is more harmful than helpful.
            Tara
            Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

The best technology time management technique we ever used with my teenage son was the following. We decided how many hours a week he could use online. It was a HUGE generous amount. Ridiculous. The kind of time that you see and everyone thinks "Wow, I don't spend THAT much time online, do I?". He agreed to this limit. Then, we put a marble for each hour in a jar. When he used an hour, regardless of when he used it (evening, weekend, whatever) I took out a marble. If he went 10 minutes in to the hour, it rounded up - so 1 hr. 10 minutes = two marbles. When the marbles were gone, the device went away for the rest of the time in that time period. We never had to get to that point, though. He ended up not playing at all during the school week to save his hours for binges on the weekends. Fine with me. Of course, he always had to have his schoolwork done as well.

This is actually a little OT since this is about a school provided device, but I just wanted to share. Time management for your internet time is a life skill, let's not fool ourselves. We all struggle to get it right. I think he's learning and it's good that you are figuring out ways to help him balance "fun" with responsibilities. Right now, he's not doing a great job if his grades are slipping. I'm sure he'll figure it out. The laptop is a new experience for him.
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Time management for your internet time is a life skill, let's not fool ourselves.
                Cutting out forums & most of my other "fun" internet time wasters during Lent was one of the best things I did last year. IMSN is awesome, but I totally abuse it!
                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Working...
                X