Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Allergies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is your dd doing?
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

We ended up in the ED Saturday. We were out of town and had lunch out with friends. I still have a peanut suspicion - I let her split a piece of cake and she started reacting almost immediately. It was a really dramatic reaction, and she thought her throat was closing (though I think she was just panicked). We went in, saw a PA who really didn't know much of what he was doing, and had to threaten the hospital to see a physician, who then changed the care plan. It was really scary and frustrating all at the same time.

We went to the allergist yesterday. He definitely wants to test her for peanuts, but wants her off of her allergy meds for three weeks (as well as not eating any form of nuts or legumes). I'm nervous. She has been doing so well with her other allergies and I'm worried she's going to be sickly with allergy issues for the next three weeks. My fingers are crossed that the winter weather will help keep any reactions to a minimum. Thank you guys so much. Your caring, advice, and experience mean so much.
      -Deb
      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Do you have an epi pen for her? Especially as her reactions are ramping up and she will be off her allergy meds, I would insist on having one available.
        Kris

Comment

Yep - We've always had an Epi pen in our house (DH has a nightmare that we'll have someone here who he wouldn't be able to rescue and our babysitter has horrid allergies), but she's had one of her own for the last year. I think she's worried because everyone she knows with food allergies has had to use an Epi pen at some point. Her allergist did a really good job of explaining that she needs to have it, but that it's a backup plan.
          -Deb

Comment

We've never had to use it--- fwiw. Ds has had an epi since he was 2!!

I'm so sorry she had a reaction like that. 3 weeks off of allergy meds would be torture for my son. That seems like a lot. They could just do a blood draw and get an idea of her reaction to peanuts. My ds had a scratch test done after being diagnosed with the peanut allergy years before-- his arm was swollen and painful for days after the scratch test. It was crazy. We stick to blood tests only to measure his Titers now.

Anyway, hang in there--- poor kid and poor mom!!! So frustrating!! And scary.
            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Gah, it's scary business. Personally speaking, it took a long time to not regard most foods with suspicion and fear. Buffets still make me anxious because I see how sloppy people are. I can't imagine being a parent watching my kid go through it. (or being a kid, for that matter) How are you holding up? Are you allowed to keep benadryl capsules for emergencies before her tests are done?

Hugs!!

Comment

That is really scary, I can't imagine how you are feeling (or her).
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

She can take Benadryl, but hopefully won't have to too much. This is the first time I've had the inkling to keep her with me 24/7. I'm working really hard to be really cool and calm because DD's personality is naturally a little anxious, and I don't want to add to it. I am so lucky that she has an awesome teacher who is very involved and has a student in her class with a peanut allergy. It's helped with having backup peanut free snacks that I can leave in the classroom for her, and I know that her teacher is already on the lookout for the other student. DH seems to be very calm about the whole thing, but I think he may realize that I'm worried enough for both of us. I'm just hoping we get through the next three weeks uneventfully.

For those of you who have to deal with peanut allergies, what do you do if you go out to eat? I feel really tied to home, but it was in a restaurant that she had her worst reaction (though if I would have thought about it, I wouldn't let her order bakery items from anywhere but home).
                  -Deb

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                    For those of you who have to deal with peanut allergies, what do you do if you go out to eat? I feel really tied to home, but it was in a restaurant that she had her worst reaction (though if I would have thought about it, I wouldn't let her order bakery items from anywhere but home).
                    Going out to eat is possible, but allergies are truly a game-changer. First, we usually call the restaurant ahead of time and talk to the manager and often the kitchen staff. We have far more allergens to contend with than just peanut, so we usually come up with a few meals that are doable for our dd (for example - can you clean the grill and grill up a piece of chicken/fish/steak/whatever and perhaps some steamed veges on the side?) If the restaurant seems comfortable with the accommodating allergies, then that is where we'll go. For peanuts, some cuisines are just out - many asian cuisines use peanuts liberally for example. The trick to eating out is looking at menus online for potential meals and calling ahead to see how food is prepared. We have to specifically ask that they prepare dd's food on a clean workspace and cook it in a clean pan.
                    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Some restaurants try to be accommodating - Aladdin's and Paladar are great about answering allergy questions at least. Hope she tests negative.

Angie
                      Angie
                      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Angie, that's really helpful. Paladar is a go-to for us. I'm going to call Burntwood tomorrow - I'm guessing they might be accommodating. Fortunately, she'll get tested before spring break, so we'll know either way by then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        -Deb

Comment

Not trying to add anxiety here, but what do you do if you travel?
                          Luanne
                          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

DD was tested today. She has a mild reaction to peanuts (still can't have them, but not nearly as concerning as her other allergies), but is definitely allergic to ...
                            tree nuts
                            soy
                            corn
                            Ugh. She also reacted to wheat, but since she's so, so, so allergic to grasses they're considering it a false positive. She tests again in three months.
                            Until then, I'll be feeding her broccoli. That's safe, so broccoli it is!

ETA - We're going to Disney World for spring break. I've heard such awesome things about how they deal with allergies, I may never leave.
                            -Deb

Comment

Thankfully nuts and soy are well labeled, so it will be a bit easier.

Hopefully, you can get her first cleared quickly and she will start feeling better!
                              Kris

Comment

Poor kid. Glad you have some answers now though!!!
                                Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Working...
                                X