Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok....I forgot about one fundraiser that I really liked and would continue to support.
    Bryn's preschool did a fundraiser with a company that sells your child's artwork image printed onto various things (magnets, notecards, kitchen tile, keychain, calendar, etc). I wasn't sure how they would turn out but was shocked by the quality and how great the products looked. We ended up doing a lot of our holiday shopping this way and covered gifts for family and a few others for around $100 -- less than we would typically spend. And the school got some of the $$ too. My mom had tears in her eyes when she saw the notecards with Bryn's artwork printed on them.
    I'll buy these over nuts/cookie dough/pizzas/oranges any day!!

Comment

i really don't know about this one. we have the same fundraisers as kris described (and the artwork one, too) and the proceeds are supposed to go to the PTA. i support them, and they do some other fund raisers that are far more clever and worthwhile, but as far as i know, w/o income from fundraisers and dues ($5/yr), the PTA wouldn't be funded at all... they help out by purchasing basic supplies for classrooms to cut into personal expenses teachers pay...

fundraisers i have liked are:

1: a catered dinner in the cafeteria for $7/plate--- a really nice italian meal and about half went to the PTA

2: family fun nights-- ex. a "fall festival" where you purchased tickets for the kids to paint pumpkins, make beaded jewelry, etc.

3: a carnival with auction--- this comes up later this year and i've yet to experience it, but it sounds like fun and i love a good silent auction!

Anyway, my kids will never be top sellers, b/c i don't want to push the stuff on family and there's no way they will go door to door or sit outside safeway, but i minimally participate in the big fundraisers.

What i don't participate in is picture day. i take my daughter to Sears instead-- cheaper, no retakes needed, i can get the sizes i want...
      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Peggy -- those fundraisers sound cool and like fun for the family. Much better than door-to-door sales!

Comment

yes- they really are clever! i wish they'd drop the wrapping paper and stick to only creative fun fundraisers, but that's how it is!
          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Update

Well, I thought I'd update y'all on this. I did send the letter. It was printed the week that decisions were made about all day kindergarten....and someone said to me "oh, kris..you KNOW that it is all political who gets into all day kindergarten"

And...Alex did not get in. Amanda already did not get all day kindergarten and we sucked that up...and we already have two children in school there now....one of our neighbors who is involved heavily in supporting the school has amazingly had both of her children in all day kindergarten...

Either we have really bad luck (I'm willing to look at that) or we're being punished for speaking out.

In any case, my phone rang off the hook the day that my letter came out because people supported it...and I even got a letter from our local pastor yesterday expressing his support.

kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
            X