Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Post Partum Psychosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Partum Psychosis

Just wanted to share - this is a mom I knew when I lived in OKC. She had never had mental health problems until having her fourth baby, when she went into severe post partum psychosis, alternating between manic and depressed. After about a year and a half, she seems to be recovering. She and her husband just released a video (bottom of the main page), and she's restarted her blog. She is a Christian, so there's a lot about God in the video and in her writing.

I feel for her and for her family. They've lost so much during her recovery. I've heard a lot about post partum depression, but not mania and psychosis. I don't mean this to scare anyone - I think it's pretty rare, and her case was especially severe.

http://www.colbyandamandataylor.com
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

DrK has treated patients with this. He had one patient who tried to hang herself while still in the maternity ward.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Wow, what a beautiful family. She is so brave for being open about it and sharing
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

It's terrifying. Kudos to her for speaking out.
        There was a horrific case in England with a Psychiatrist who suffered from it. Her husband is an Anaesithist. I won't go into details but the story left me in tears.
        Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
        Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Wow. It took a lot of courage and humility and generosity to make that video.

Comment

Yeah, that was pretty amazing. Most people would want to hide and not be so public about what had occurred. I hope it saves a lot of lives/marriages.
            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

So touching! I was diagnosed with the same thing after our third child. I had just started antipsychotics when I found out I was pregnant with our fourth. I was never hospitalized (I.can.not.imagine.), although I was examined in the ER by one of DH's surgery residents. Fortunately she was an older resident and mom so she was very kind, compassionate and discreet. Even more fortunately, my mania and psychosis never presented as violent so no one removed me from my children. I gave birth four times within six and a half years. It's really hard on the body, and sleep deprivation is never-ending. My first psychiatrist SUCKED and clearly didn't think I should keep our fourth baby. In hindsight it did bring a lot of subconscious issues to the surface, and I'm continually trying to heal them, both family of origin and marriage issues. I've (reasonably) healed my relationship with my mother, and DH pushed our family up to his greatest priority. He had too. It really brought him to his knees regarding his career and life priorities. He does so much more at home now. It took a huge bonfire to force us to face some ugly issues. We're still working on them. I no longer cry when I think about what happened. I still feel sad and I don't understand why, but I can also see the positive changes we've made in our lives in response to it too. I do panic (physically) when I see moms having babies so closely. PTSD.
              -Ladybug

Comment

Wow, that's so scary that it comes out of left field like that. Very brave to share her story.

Ladybug <3

Comment

What a brave message they shared. Many hugs to those of you who have experienced this or something similar.
                  Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

She is really brave. I couldn't imagine going through something so devastating and then sharing it with the world. I'm certain her and her husband's message will help some couple who really needs to know they're not alone.
                    Laurie
                    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Working...
                    X