Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Please help us with sleeping problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help us with sleeping problems.

I am posting this on several message boards in hopes that some experienced Mommy out there will understand what we are going through and have some real advice. My daughter is 9 months old tomorrow and nighttime has been hell since she was born. She has never slept through the night, not even close. She has gone through teething (she now has 4 on the top and 4 on the bottom - and who knows, maybe there are more coming in right now that I can't see) . . . she has gone through the developmental wakefulness thing where she gets wild at night for a week or so before a big leap (she is crawling and standing & cruising while holding on - what other big leaps could she make right now? I don't think she is close to walking because she can't yet stand on her own for more than a second or two. But my husband did walk at 9 months so it's not out of the range) . . . and she has gas and still has gas. We usually give her a bedtime dose of gas drops (and Tylenol if we can see a tooth coming in and/or nothing will pacify her).

The first thing out of your mouth will be cosleeping. Been there, done that. She basically coslept with us for the first 8 months. She would spend the early part of the evening either in her crib (very rare) or her swing and move to our bed later. We were able to transition her to her crib at 8 months. She wasn't sleeping well in our bed and we were all losing sleep. She would wake up every 30m-1h to nurse. The current situation is that she goes to sleep in her crib around 6:30-7:00 and will usually sleep until 11pm or so, nurse, and then on a good night sleep again until 3am or so. This is not a problem. I have *no* problem with getting up to nurse her every 3 hours or so. I *do* have a problem with getting up every 20-40m and not being able to get her back to sleep. This morning she woke up at 3am. I nursed her and put her back in the crib. She woke up 20 minutes later. I refused to nurse her again because she had obvious gas (I'm thinking from overfeeding?) I tried to rock her to sleep but nothing was working so I nursed her again. She wouldn't fall asleep. I brought her into our bed and she started to crawl and pull up on my back to reach over and touch my husband. It was so ridiculous that we had to laugh. I finally took her back into her room and gave her another round of gas drops and Tylenol. She fell asleep after 10 minutes or so and woke up around 6am. Nights like this are also very typical here and kill us. It's always 3am -5am that are the terrible hours. WHAT CAN WE DO HERE?

I am exasperated and frustrated and feeling hopeless. I feel as if I have done everything possible. She is always so tired and rubs her eyes frequently during the day. I end up driving her around in the car sometimes because I want to make sure that she gets her sleep. We are all so sleep-deprived and after nights like these, I am so strung out in the morning. So if anyone can offer some wisdom, insight, advice - I would greatly, greatly appreciate it.

(BTW, I am not a fan of CIO. I really, really, really don't want to resort to that. We did do a "modified" CIO to transition her to the crib which consisted of my husband rocking her to sleep and patting her from the side of the crib)

Oh and thanks for reading this far. It's Claudia, BTW. I can't ever log in here with my username.

Hey Claudia (and btw, what is your old username and I'll fix the login problem for you).

I feel your pain. I had this problem with Andrew too.

Here are a few suggestions based on what you posted.

1. Evaluate her naps during the day. When is she sleeping and for how long? If she is taking a long nap, cut it short even if she is tired/grouchy during the day. Let her rest for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon (or something). If she isn't napping, lay down with her and nap with her....she may be so overtired that she has herself all wound up?

2. 6.30 bedtime might be too early for her right now. I would suggest keeping her awake until 8 or 8.30....

These are some of the things that I did.....it is hard when you are not getting enough sleep and so it does help to sit down and evaluate her sleeping patterns for a few days to see if you can identify problem areas...ie long naps, no napping, etc...
    Once you have a grasp on where she is at now, schedule in naptime for her, keep it short and push up her bedtime (at least for awhile). After about a week of this she will likely be sleeping much better....well...at least this is what worked for us....

I don't believe in the CIO (cry-it-out) method either.

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Article from storknet...

Night Waking: or, Will I Ever Get a Good Night’s Sleep Again?

http://www.storknet.com/cubbies/breast/ ... waking.htm
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

GERD is what caused every one of my children's colic. The remedy for this is simple: Zantac syrup. It takes a few days to really remedy the problem but it works. I thought the problem was gas for a very long time but it did turn out to be a reflux issue. You might investigate it - using the Zantac was a true lifesaver for my sleep and my sanity....

Jennifer
        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
        With fingernails that shine like justice
        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I have to echo Jennifer's post. We had the same sleep problems that Claudia described between 2.5 and 4 months. We knew our daughter had reflux, but DH didn't want to treat it. I pushed for it and finally we began Prilosec at 3.5 months and within two weeks our daughter was going to bed like a dream and only getting up once a night. I can also tell her sleeping begins to slide if she hasn't had the medication for a couple days. You may want to look into reflux. Our daughter reflux didn't involve her spitting up very much but you saw it coming back up and her kind of chewing a lot.

Jennifer
          Needs

Comment

Working...
          X