Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Do you text your kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you text your kids?

Somehow, we ended up being big texters in our house. It's funny because I'm not known for keeping my phone on me and so I'm a sporadic texter, but my kids communicate with me overwhelmingly by text before coming to me with many issues. Amanda tests out the waters via text messages, discovers I'm open to a conversation and then finds me to talk personally (usually I'm in the bathtub and she sits on the side of the tub and chats with me). Andrew struggles with communication issues and texting is a very natural outlet for him. We discuss major life-changing issues either via txt or FB messenger. It is the primary way that he communicates with me on most topics. Alex isn't a big texter unless he wants something and he's also not big on communicating in general with me lately. He's 15 and just seems to have withdrawn.

The crazy thing is that Aidan and Amanda text Thomas and I from their tablets. They each downloaded a free texting program. Aidan is more of a jokester via text message, but Zoe (age 8) is serious about her messages. She feels the need to annotate her emotional state with each text: "Where are you *gets mad*". I don't know where she gets her flare for drama .

Does your family embrace texting?
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I'd have to give up my phone fully to the toddler then.

As far as Dh...not really. Our conversations tend to be pretty one sided (I'm doing all the talking) and it annoys me
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

We text all the time, too. I think that's just how teens communicate more now.

Comment

Um, there's a reason one of my favorite movie quotes is, "Machete don't text." Mmm, Danny Trejo.

However, my parents text constantly with my little brother (31) and have for years. It actually drives them nuts that I don't have a smart phone. My brother says, "Please get one? I have so many emoji to send you!"

I remember how tough yet essential it was to communicate with my parents when I was a teen. My mom and I had a routine where she'd go out on the balcony to smoke, and I'd follow her out there and we'd sit facing out and talk about all the things. You have to use the tools that work for each individual kid, so kudos for keeping those communication lines open!

("Some idiot just called me up on the phone, what!? Don't they know how to text? OMG!")
        Alison

Comment

I primarily text with my father. It is an easier, "safe" way to communicate with him. I prefer it that way. I text with DH throughout the day, but they aren't conversations. DD12 texts short messages, but most we talk in person. I usually text her when dinner is ready because her room is in a place where she can't hear me from the kitchen. Haha. Call me lazy.
          Needs

Comment

I prefer texting over phone calls. I seriously detest talking on the phone. My family (in-laws/mom/sister) get pissed when I text them instead of calling. They don't get to the damn point in a call, but they will via text. And then I don't have to listen to bullshit I don't care about anyway.

Comment

I text with my sons and DH all the time. With my sisters, sometimes. With my mom/DH's parents....occasionally. With DH's brothers/their wives...also occasionally.
              Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

We are all about texting here
                Tara
                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I try to keep texting to maybe two exchanges back and forth because honestly, anything more merits a full conversation. As texting becomes the norm, this rule is getting harder. For some people it is the preferred.

Yes, I text my kid but it almost always informational stuff.
                  In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                  X