Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

School Fundraisers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Fundraisers

E's school is doing their bi-annual fundraiser next week (at least it seems bi-annual, since this is the second one since we've been there, and she's not a year yet) - selling World's Finest Chocolate. Last time we had the option to participate or completely opt out, so I opted out. This time we have the option to participate or pay $60. To participate, you get a case of bars worth $120 (60 plain for $1 each, 30 almond for $2 each) and 3.5 weeks to sell them. I think you have to cover the cost of whatever you don't sell. I don't want to pay the $60, but it seems WAY easier, right? I have no way to guarantee selling 90 bars, since I'm absolutely not going door to door. My selling options are my dad's department, hubby's department, my work, and my friends.
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

I would give the money.
    Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
    Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

What?! I wouldn't sell bars. I'd end up paying $60 and being ticked off by a mandatory donation. If you feel gutsy enough, tell them you completely opt out (I couldn't do that because I'm a wimp).
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

At the same time, if I can just sell half of the bars I get, then I still pay $60, but I get a whole box of candy bars out of it.
        Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

I'd be pissed, but I paid more for childcare than rent while DH was in med school. The most they did were various charitable drives (coats for tots, PJs, canned food drives, etc) and I didn't find those offensive.
          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
            I'd be pissed, but I paid more for childcare than rent while DH was in med school. The most they did were various charitable drives (coats for tots, PJs, canned food drives, etc) and I didn't find those offensive.
            Childcare is 2.5x our mortgage (granted we have a cheap house/small mortgage)...

C just started PMO one day a week (still have nanny FT). We're already being bombarded with fairs, drives, etc.
            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Ugh, I greatly detest school fundraisers. I pay the $60 and be done with it. We typically just don't participate. I've been in charge of many a fundraiser and see how much money the schools actually get and it's little to nothing. I only support fundraisers where 100% of the money raised stays at the school, otherwise is a no go for me.
              Tara
              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
                Ugh, I greatly detest school fundraisers. I pay the $60 and be done with it. We typically just don't participate. I've been in charge of many a fundraiser and see how much money the schools actually get and it's little to nothing. I only support fundraisers where 100% of the money raised stays at the school, otherwise is a no go for me.
                This. Hate fundraisers.
                Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
                  Childcare for us is half of the amount of our mortgage, but we only have one kid, the daycare is relatively inexpensive because it's part of a church and a school, and we put 20% down on the house and got a pretty good interest rate - the insurance makes up half of our mortgage payment.

Does the money go back to the company? The whole thing is stupid.

Comment

This. The only thing I participate in is the bake sales. The kids help make whatever we're donating, then they older ones work the bakesale, and the school keeps all the proceeds. Fortunately, we don't have mandatory donations!
                    If they need the money so badly, why don't they bump up the tuition a bit?

Comment

And another thing...wait until your kids are older and they offer prizes for selling X amount. Ugh.

Comment

Yes. ^^^^.
                        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Yep, most of the money goes right back to the company. A good return is 50% to the school but that is RARE!!! Wrapping paper is only 30-40% back to the school. Scholastic Book Fairs are also a huge money maker for the company NOT the school. Yes, you get more money if you take their books for the schools library but the scholastic books are subpar. A librarian for one of our schools refused the Scholastic books. She knew it ruffled feathers but she pointed out that they were printed on poor quality paper and just didn't last. She felt the school was getting ripped off.
                          Best fundraisers we ever did were math and spelling-a-thons. Kids learned extra math and spelling and 100% of the money stayed at the school.
                          Tara
                          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by BonBon View Post
                            And another thing...wait until your kids are older and they offer prizes for selling X amount. Ugh.
                            Oh, they already do! The daycare is part of a school that goes through high school, so they pretty much just open the fundraiser to everybody. The kicker is that the $60 helps cover the cost of the ice cream party to the participants. Umm, are they really going to have an ice cream party for the babies?? And the grand prize is $100 off tuition. Unless it's off of the monthly cost, not a one-time fee, it's really not that helpful.

Comment

I hate food fundraisers and food rewards. During my MPH, I worked with school districts to eliminate food-related incentives & activities. They are ostracizing to food-allergic kids and are not strictly necessary.
                              Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X