Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Preschool Parent Questionnaire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preschool Parent Questionnaire?

Another woman and I are room parents for K1's pre-K class. The school PTA held a meeting yesterday for all the room parents to discuss our responsibilities. They were a little fuzzy about our duties because this is the first year for a new school. The responsibilities were largely planning parties/gifts for the teachers (not holiday parties for the class but things like teacher appreciation week and a birthday party for the teacher), making decorations for school events, and coordinating participation by the other classroom parents but ultimately we get to do "whatever we want to do". For the time being, the only specific assignments we have are to contact the classroom teacher to ask what sort of help she wants, distribute "favorites" questionnaires to the teachers (to learn about her preferences for the aforementioned gifts and parties in her honor), distribute the teacher's response to the questionnaire to the classroom parents (so they know how to suck up to the teacher), and make a sign for our class's participation in the upcoming Trunk-or-Treat event.

My co-room parent and I have been talking. Neither of us feel comfortable with shaking down other parents for money. We don't know any of the other parents and do not want to make presumptions about how they spend their time or money. However, since it's a peer model program in a public school, we do know that at least half of the children in the classroom have some sort of developmental delay. Generally, parents of kids with special needs may be budgeting for medical care, occupational therapy, etc. in addition to the usual expenses that households with small children require. Also, since enrollment in the pre-k program is entirely elective, we feel safe assuming that the parents are invested in their children's education and will want to be included in some manner even if they cannot contribute money or leave their work to participate.

Ultimately, aside from whatever the PTA asks us to do, our primary goals are to be helpful to the teacher, to be involved in our children's classroom, and to facilitate the creation of a community among the classroom parents. To that end, we are brainstorming about ways to get to know the other classroom parents quickly, without forcing them to attend awkward "get to know you" events that require babysitters or time away from work. We are thinking, perhaps when we distribute the teacher's response to her "favorites questionnaire", of sending a "getting to know you" survey to the parents asking about them, their kids' interests, any special skills/interests that the parents can contribute to the classroom, and their expectations.

Is this an awful idea? If it's not an awful idea, what sort of questions should we ask? We don't want to pry but we think it would be really beneficial to know people's professions, hobbies, interests, languages, expectations....
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Well, my first terrible question is why are you doing this? Emily, you have so much on your plate. You're doing too much!

Alright. That's me being a friend (and an unpopular one). Feel free to give me the same feedback about my crazy life!

I'm not sure how filling out questionnaires translates into the goal of creating community among the classroom parents. If your goal is that you get to know the parents, a questionnaire is okay .... but I don't understand how it helps parents get to know each other unless the results are distributed. I don't think there is any way to create that community without having awkward get-to-know you events tbh.
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

The questionnaire is a starting point. Once we know who we are dealing with, we will have a better idea of what sort of activities we can plan and how we can ask people to contribute.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

I get it now. I misunderstood.

I think a questionnaire could be a good starting point.
        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

What would you ask? We were thinking of asking the basics mixed in with some fun stuff.... like where they are from, what they do, where they went to school, what languages they speak, hobbies, special talents/interests, what are their favorite family activities, what are their kids' interests, whether they want to participate in classroom activities, out of classroom activities.... We want to get to know them without making anyone uncomfortable, don't want to creep them out. I was thinking that we'd send them the teacher's responses to her questionnaire, short bios for the two of us, and then segue into asking them to complete questionnaires.

As for why I'm doing this...I was asked. And I'm at the school all the time anyway since the boys schools are about 6 blocks apart and I need to be nearby for pick ups/drop offs anyway. And I didn't know if there were any other SAH parents in the classroom who could do it. (Several classrooms do not have room parents.) And I want to be involved in my kids' education as much as possible -- especially K1 because he needs an advocate.

For instance, the other night, he came home complaining that he is the only kid in class that cannot read and everyone is reading in their heads like in the library and he cannot. It didn't sound right and I have a good rapport with the teacher so I emailed her. We were able to work out that she tells the kids to "read" in the classroom library area when they are waiting for everyone to wash up at snack time. The other kids all look at pictures in the books while K1 has been refusing to participate in that activity and needs several re-directs to do it. She thought he was being uncooperative when he was more likely confused by her instructions and is avoiding the activity because he thought he was the only one who couldn't do it. When faced with something difficult, he often says that he doesn't want to or he finds the activity boring, thinking that he is somehow saving face. Like when he couldn't hear and he told me that he was listening but not minding....for some reason, he thinks it's better to be defiant than to admit he's struggling.

Comment

I know you don't want awkward get togethers, but what about something simple like a Saturday park play date that parents can choose to attend. Having the kids around might make things less awkward by providing a bit of distraction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm unclear on why you need this information from the parents? I've done the room mom gig more times than I can count and I guess I don't know why there needs to be a parent questionnaire component that has so much involved. As a parent I would just be annoyed. I know you ladies are making a huge effort but it just becomes one more thing to do.

If you want some info you can ask: "how would you like to help"? And then list options including "I will be unable to help this year". You can ask what events they would like to attend and then list the events and dates. Simple stuff. No more than 5-6 questions or things to circle.

If you want to build community within the class then certainly try and plan a few park dates and moms nights out. Those typically go over well with parents of kids in the younger grades.

You're going to have a fun year!!
              Tara
              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

We had parent sign-up sheets for each event and for volunteers to bring stuff in. People signed their name by the item they wanted to bring, who wanted to volunteer for be in charge for a craft at a party, and monthly responsibility for making playdoh for the class. More people than not wanted to participate
                Needs

Comment

Working...
                X