Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Kindergarten vs. german preschool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kindergarten vs. german preschool

I was very disappointed this year to learn that Alex was not selected for the all day kindergarten program. We have a very mysterious lottery system here that no one can actually describe, but at the end of the day, he's on a wait list and likely won't get it.

This leaves me with a few alternatives, but one of them is to send him to the new german immersion preschool (even though he is of kindergarten age). It would mean me driving to St. Paul several times a week though but I think it would have as much benefit as a 2 hour a day kindergarten???

What do you guys think?

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

That's a lot of time on the road, Kris, especially with a little one and the winters you all have up there! How much would the German school cost compared to a private full-day (or at least longer than 2 hours!)Kindergarten program in the town where you live?

It is so weird to me that TX has free full-day Kindergarten, although it has never been known as a strong state for education. In Indiana, (my home state) people are all up in arms about offering it, mostly because of the costs I think. I think of MN as being light-years ahead of TX on the education front, so the lack of free full-day Kindergarten for all the kids is puzzling to me. I wonder if it is because in TX there are so many kids that don't speak English at home or something like that......maybe Kindergarten helps them get up to speed? Although I think Kindergarten was fairly challenging for non-minority students that are English speakers and of average intelligence, from what I remember of Luke's experience. He was ahead of everyone by a long shot, but they really do expect them to be reading and writing by the end of the year, which I know was not the case when I was that age. Some kids are just not ready to do that at that age.

Anyway, I would hate to think of you spending so much time on the road, Kris.

Sally
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

That was my thought, too. I think that kind of a drive would get old fast, especially with having to haul a baby around as well.
      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

It totally depends on the content of each school. What is the curriculum and pros and cons of each?

More time in a school does not mean the student learns more nor does it make the education more valuable.

What are your goals here? Longer socialization? Child-care? You believe your child is ready for all day school?

It's a tough choice but a very important one.
        Good luck!
        Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Perhaps the preschool can strengthen your argument to move closer to Kelly!!

It could be a long, long winter if you have to be on the road that much. Is there a train or something? That way you could at least read and have an hour to yourself on your way to pick him up and then have an hour with him on the return.

Jenn.

Comment

hmmmmm You all make an argument against the german preschool that is way tooo valid....travel time. Waaah! Why can't we move closer to the cities........

kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
            X