Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Mamas dont let your babies grow up to be doctors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mamas dont let your babies grow up to be doctors

Seriously, how could I have failed so miserably that both of my kids want to be doctors? I mean, c'mon!! I blame Chad. It's the only explanation. He's too optimistic and stuff. Damn medicine.

Ryan wants to be a pathologist. He definitely wants to be the kind of doc that doesn't deal with the people. Lexi, my, poor, sweet, smart, girl wants to be an orthopod. I mean, for the love of cranberries! I asked her how about being the chick version of Neil Degrasse Tyson? She thought that would also be cool. Chick super scientist and on t.v.? Right up her alley. Whew. But, she also knows there is only one NDT. So, yeah, ortho.

HMMMMMPH. I thought my bitter was good enough, but apparently not, or they're tuning me out. Not cool. Not cool at all.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

it's a long ways off.
    -Ladybug

Comment

Oh, I know, but it also goes by at hyper speed.

Heidi

Comment

I started college wanting to be a pathologist and changed my mind while there. There's still hope!
        Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

There is hope! College will expose them to many other options. Keeping my fingers crossed that one of them is not the med school route.
          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

This made me laugh - but I feel your pain. It is a testament to C and his attitude that his love of what he does still shines through all the bullshit. Have you talked to R about medicine from a business perspective? What appeals to him about medicine?
            Jen
            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

It's all they know right now, H. They want to be like you guys.
              -Ladybug

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
                I started college wanting to be a pathologist and changed my mind while there. There's still hope!
                My husband started college as an architecture major. He finished and practiced for two years....before returning to school at night to become a doctor, like his dad. *sigh*

It's always a possibility.

I've got an engineer and a scientist here, so far. We will see where time takes us.

Angie
                Angie
                Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I was mostly kidding, guys. A little humor. I'm hoping they change their minds, but what do you do?

Heidi

Comment

Laurie
                    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

If they don't change their minds, they'll have a great support in you!

Kris
                      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

You know, I think it's interesting that so many doctors' kids grow up wanting to be doctors. It seems inconsistent with how dissatisfied doctors report being with the careers. These kids know first hand how demanding the profession is. My husband is the son of a surgeon. In his case I think it was in part because his family worshiped at the shrine of medicine and he was pretty much indoctrinated with the idea that it was the only noble pursuit in life. Now he realizes he probably could have been fulfilled in another profession better suited to his personality. So we are really careful with our kids to point out how other careers do good for the world and help people.

Comment

You say he doesn't want to deal with people?

Radiology....

But yeah, the son of two doctors here ended up going that route too. But he did learn enough from the dad/childhood to think about what he wanted his life post residency to look like
                          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I'm very honest with my kids. If they go into it, at least it's with eyes wide open.

Heidi

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
                              I was mostly kidding, guys. A little humor. I'm hoping they change their minds, but what do you do?

Heidi

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420473273.390168.jpg
                              We're a lost cause here, too! She'll sit and flip through this all day long :thud:
                              Jen
                              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Working...
                              X