Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Super Bowl Party ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Bowl Party ?

So we're having a family SB party tonight - 8 families, about 16 adults, 20+ kids however the issue is that one family's children are older - 5th & 7th grades. They are GREAT with my kids and love them to death but I worry with 16 other kids, all under 7, that they will feel like they're babysitting and that was not my plan when we invited them.

Do I address it with their mom before they get here (she is a friend of mine and the spouse of one of DH's partners) or do I mention it when they get here? They don't babysit, I've tried to get them to babysit my kids before and they just don't so its not like they are regular sitters of ours but I still feel bad...
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

I would just make sure that you have stuff for them to do (like Wii or something). When they come, just say there are X, Y, or Z for them to do of they don't want to play with the littler kids.
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

That is probably going to be part of the issue as well, we are setting the wii up in the basement but I suspect the little kids will want to play too. They really are great kids so I hope its ok...

Comment

I'd include the older kids with the adults (minus alcohol). If you're doing a betting grid, maybe let them pick squares for their parents or draw the strips. Don't treat them like little kids. Set up things to do for the littles. Give the bigger kids cards and poker chips or M&Ms to play with or some other older kid game. Give them their own space if possible that's a little kid free zone if they choose.

Most of all, though, don't send them on babysitting errand tasks. Good luck!

Heidi
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
          I'd include the older kids with the adults (minus alcohol). If you're doing a betting grid, maybe let them pick squares for their parents or draw the strips. Don't treat them like little kids. Set up things to do for the littles. Give the bigger kids cards and poker chips or M&Ms to play with or some other older kid game. Give them their own space if possible that's a little kid free zone if they choose.

Most of all, though, don't send them on babysitting errand tasks. Good luck!

Heidi
          I agree. I'd include them with the adults - 7th grade is certainly old enough to sit through the super bowl and engage in normal conversations with adults. 5th is a little in between, but much closer to being an adult than a little kid - particularly since their older sibling will be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well we're down 1 1/2 families due to illness and they're definitely mature kids, the 7th graders are boy twins. It will be fine, I have to learn to plan, be inviting and then just let it go. I can't control who actually comes and whether or not they have fun

Comment

How'd it go?

Comment

It was great, we had a good time. They didn't babysit at all. The daughter helped with one of the littles but really because she wanted to. The boys watched the game with the dads. They left at halftime, I kind of thought people would and a few families did since it was a school night. We had fun.

Comment

My kids really like helping with the little ones. They are always being told what to do, so it's fun to be "in charge" and have little kids that look up to you.
                  -Ladybug

Comment

Awesome. Glad it worked out!

Comment

Working...
                    X