Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

We pulled her out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We pulled her out...

We decided to pull out DD from her pre-k program. We noticed a marked change in her behavior- the kid was always pissed off! She had been complaining about some boys being mean to her and when I spoke to her teachers the result was less than impressive... We were told she was too sensitive despite having been hit and kicked and told she was going to be killed- um, not thinking that is too sensitive and the "boys will be boys" attitude was insane!
    At home she is doing great! Not upset or hostile and we go to play group, do play dates and swim, gymnastic and horse riding lessons and I work with her at home.
    She had loved her school last year where we lived and got a lot out of it. Now, I am debating, do I look for a new school for her or homeschool for a while given her experiences this year?
    Thoughts?

Aww, poor girl! That's unacceptable, and I'm glad she's doing better now. A break might be good for her. Or maybe going to a better class soon would show her that school is actually safe.
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

So glad you pulled her out! Honestly, the benefit of pre-K has really varies for each of my kids. For my oldest, she HAD to be with kids constantly so it helped me, my second needed the discipline before kindergarten of sitting on the rug when the teacher says to, getting into a school routine, etc, and for my third it's just helped her grow emotionally. If I didn't see those needs being met, I'd pull them out, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      -Deb
      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Oh man. You are on island right? This is the mentality here and it is scary. They don't care about emotional stability and don't see the correlation between the whole "it's a jungle out there" mentality and their huge problems with bullying in middle school. Physical, cyber bullying, you name it. It's INSANE here. I've been shocked out of my mind by the insensitivity. And we are in the "best" district in the state. I was talking to a mom yesterday who actually went back to work to pay for private tuition for her son, and he has had nothing but problems. She's pulling him to do a blended homeschool/school program (hawaii technology academy). That starts in first grade maybe?

Anyway, it's not you, it's not your daughter, it's a mentality here that's bred this insensitivity. It's pretty startling.

Hugs-- What kids need is to feel good about who they are, valued as people, safe at school... The world is their oyster.... So sorry you're going through this.
        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

How awful! It sounds like you made the right choice though.
          Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate View Post
            Oh man. You are on island right? This is the mentality here and it is scary. They don't care about emotional stability and don't see the correlation between the whole "it's a jungle out there" mentality and their huge problems with bullying in middle school. Physical, cyber bullying, you name it. It's INSANE here. I've been shocked out of my mind by the insensitivity. And we are in the "best" district in the state. I was talking to a mom yesterday who actually went back to work to pay for private tuition for her son, and he has had nothing but problems. She's pulling him to do a blended homeschool/school program (hawaii technology academy). That starts in first grade maybe?

Anyway, it's not you, it's not your daughter, it's a mentality here that's bred this insensitivity. It's pretty startling.

Hugs-- What kids need is to feel good about who they are, valued as people, safe at school... The world is their oyster.... So sorry you're going through this.
            Yes! On the Island- it is beyond shocking! It is a small private Christian school- we are not religious but thought it would provide a loving environment. She is so little to have gone through this and I am disgusted by the school's lack of compassion. When we pulled her out they really could have cared less- we had prepaid so maybe they got their money and that was the only concern? We are looking into an art based school which is more costly but at this point we just want her to be happy next year in kindergarten. Or I will be homeschooling....
            This is heartbreaking to see her go through being bullied when she is so young...

Comment

At my son's school his friend was ridiculed in front of the class for forgetting to bring in a project. The project was due on Monday (!!) and the boy has adhd and forgot. So the teacher humiliated him and he was crushed. He was crying all through lunch and every time a teacher asked him what was wrong he said, "my teacher hates me" and every adult just said, "oh that's not true. You'll feel better soon." And they walked away!!! Ds10 was so shocked that no one offered to really help, and DS was so confused about what he should do. He asked his friend if he wanted to go see the counselor. I mean, his friend was sobbing all lunch, snot and tears coming down his face the whole time. 10 teachers walked by and offered little more than
              A "there there" on their way to lunch. Poor DS sat through that and just felt helpless. And sad.

His friend is ok now, but I'm still processing the level of callousness that the staff has to let this kid just suffer through. I don't know what to do quite but next year I'm getting very involved in PTA and they way they treat new students and bullying is my top concern.
              Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

That is nuts, Peggy! Where are you guys? I am sorry your son was put in such a position- he sounds like a kind boy! I took Emma to a new school to check it out for next year. Her first comment was, "Mommy, they are so kind!" We may have a winner- fingers crossed! She gets to spend a morning there to give her a better idea in a couple weeks...

Comment

Working...
                X