Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

baby biscuit question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baby biscuit question

Is that bad??? He's only 5 1/2 months old. It started innocently enough. My husband loves Zwieback and so he buys the baby Zwieback and dunks it in his coffee Aidan has two teeth and is working on more and so I let him try one....he really liked them but they get too chunky and I was afraid he'd choke...so I bought a box of the gerber biter biscuits. If he just sees me get the box he starts shrieking (with delight) and reaching with his hands 8O
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I don't think it's bad at all. I never used those biscuits because the drooled remnants hardened into something resembling cement......maybe I just let it sit too long! I usually just stuck with cheerios. But it seems like Aidan is the right age for the beginnings of people food.

Sally
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I felt the same way with Claire. I started her on cheerios when she was about five months too, she had four teeth at the time, and I was worried she would choke as well, so I would only give her half, that didn't last. I have also tried the Gerber Fruit Puffs which have more taste than Cheerios and dissolve faster, but other than that there isn't much difference. I probably will stick to Cheerios. But the biter biscuits and zwieback are things I'll have to look into. Do you do fruit chunks as well? She loves chunks of ripe banana and strawberries, and yogurt. I always struggle with what I give her. She's always been a huge baby (just last week an older lady actually guessed she was 14 mo ) , but I sometimes wonder if I'm giving her too much. She much prefers real food to the baby food, but I've often wondered if there is a such thing as too much too early.

Comment

Re: baby biscuit question

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
        Is that bad??? He's only 5 1/2 months old. It started innocently enough. My husband loves Zwieback and so he buys the baby Zwieback and dunks it in his coffee Aidan has two teeth and is working on more and so I let him try one....he really liked them but they get too chunky and I was afraid he'd choke...so I bought a box of the gerber biter biscuits. If he just sees me get the box he starts shrieking (with delight) and reaching with his hands 8O
        Sounds all-good to me!

I do have to agree with Sally on the cement thing, though. My babies all loved the biter biscuits but they are a booger to clean up (maybe that is part of the reason my kids all loved them - the MESS).

Cheerios are also a great idea if he's old enough to suck on them. The only problem I had was *occasionally* a Cheerio would be sucked a tad too hard and choked on.

He's on his way to eventually eating on his own thus, making your life easier (eventually)!

Jennifer
        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
        With fingernails that shine like justice
        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Ella loves biter biscuits. I dip them in the baby food and let her to go town. I hate the mess though. I just bought some zwieback toast and she didn't like it as much. I have also been giving her Cheerios. She loves holding onto the spoon and reaches for everything we are eating. However, at almost 7 months we haven't seen any teeth yet.

Call me terrible, we have even given her french fries to suck on in restaurants and watch closely that she doesn't choke. It keeps her occupied while we eat.

I don't think it is a problem Kris!

Jennifer
          Needs

Comment

Sounds great to me. When Amy was a baby I did everything by the book. When Caroline was 8 months old she was sitting in her high chair while we were having dinner (BBQ ribs) and she kept reaching for one. I fighured why not, she can't choke on it. I gave her one and she sucked on that thing for hours. Sure beat the baby food she was getting. Her first real food was BBQ and she still loves it.
            Luanne
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Can I confess? I've been letting him have nibbles of our food too. I was so 'good' with my others...starting with the bananas and peas....I tried a little with him, but he just spit them out. He loves my german cooking though None of my other children will eat it though!!!

kris
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

It's completely fine. The only two issues is choking (already adressed) and perhaps feeding a little one something their new digestive system can't handle. My daughter hated plain noodles at first but loved ones with spicy sauce on it. My friend tried it too with her youngster and her son threw up. Trial and error I guess!

My daughter was on bananas and those baby cookies when she was four and a half months old and my pediatrition encouraged it with the two top issues in mind.

Go for it!
                Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

when I didn't want to worry about the choking, I gave the twins fruit in the special feeder things-- they are mesh bags with green tops... I am sorry I don't remember what they are called, but I think I got one at Toys'R'Us, and one from a catalog. Maybe they are called Baby Safe Feeder or something like that... With any other biscuit or teething cracker I would have to sit there and stare at them while they were eating and it was just too freaky for me. I still don't think I could do CPR on them even though I've been through training classes more than 2x...
                  Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Working...
                  X