Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

a breastfeeding question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a breastfeeding question

So I've always thought I would breastfeed until my daughter got teeth, but she got her first two when she was about 3 and a half months old. Her top ones came in only a few weeks later. Currently she's working on 7 and 8. The teeth have just started to bother me while I nurse. One of the teeth (or more I guess) has cut me, by resting in the same spot every time, and its quite painful. I don't know how to get it to heal, theres not enough time between nursings, even though she eats plenty of solids. I would wean to formula but she will have nothing to do with it. She also will not take a bottle, no matter how hungry she is. So I'm looking for any suggestions. I think I'll try just about anything!

Have you tried some different positions? At least that way her teeth would rest in a different spot and it might give you a chance to heal. Also, with mine if they actually bit me I would pull them away very quickly and over-exaggerate my "ouch". They learn quickly to associate the bite with the withdrawal of food and mine pretty much quit doing it after that. I breastfed both my girls for pretty much their whole first year and didn't really have any difficulties once they got teeth. (I went into it with the same mind-set--I'd do it until they got teeth and that was all I was guaranteeing. It turned out to be so convenient and cheap that I kept breastfeeding even after the teeth came in). I guess my suggestion is to try to hang in there, or maybe to talk to a lactation consultant that may be able to assist you. If you're ready to wean, I'm not sure what to tell you. I had a hard time getting my girls to take formula, though I suppose if they are hungry enough they will eventually take it. By the time we hit a year, both of my kids weaned without any problem, which was a huge relief since at that point I was ready to be done!
    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Oh yeah, I just remembered--I think I recall that when my girls breastfed, their tongue rested just beneath their top teeth, so it was between my breast and their top teeth. That way they weren't really able to get a good bite in. I don't know what you can do to get their tongue in the right spot, but maybe that is your problem??
      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Ouch! That doesn't sound like much fun.
        I second what Sue said about saying "ow" or "ouch". She might be too big for this, but try changing positions. If you like down to nurse, sit up or vice versa since that will change the placement of her mouth.
        Do you have any lanolin? That can help healing.
        There are these really, really great gel pads -- Ameda ComfortGel hydrogel pads that are very soothing and help heal cracked nipples. I got mine from a lactation consultant. A little pricey but so, so worth it because they work. The website for the company is: http://www.ameda.com

Ouch! I hope you heal soon!

Comment

Wow, what an early teether! 8O

I have a couple suggestions.....

When you nurse her, could you try to vary positions so her teeth aren't hitting you in the same place every time? You could try having her sit on your lap facing you, or instead of cradling her with her legs going across your body, you could have her legs going away from your body, or try nursing lying down.....if any of those will work, it might lessen the impact of her teeth on you.

Also, if that doesn't work or if you would just like to have the option of formula occasionally, try the Similac Step 2 formula.....it doesn't have as distinctive of a smell as the normal formula, and from what I remember, babies can have it starting at 6 months. That is what I used with my third (the only baby of mine that I ever gave formula.....I was SO ignorant about it! ) when successive bouts of mastitis put an end to our nursing at about 9 months. He would not even consider the regular stuff, but didn't have too much trouble adjusting to the Step 2.

Don't hesitate to call a lactation consultant or La Leche League if you want more advice.....I wish I would have done that when I kept getting mastitis, but I just was too sick and gave up. It doesn't seem that there was any harm done to him by quitting earlier than I did with his brothers....he hasn't been sick more often or anything.

Hope you find some relief!

Sally
          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been rotating positions, and it helps where the cut is but I've been noticing it just causes irritation in another area. I can't figure out what the problem is. Her top teeth seem to be the culprit, they are pretty big now. She has a decent space between them, so maybe when she sucks my skin gets pinched? I don't know, but I figure if I keep changing positions I should be able to heal (or toughen up enough) eventually. She hasn't bitten me in a long time, I too did the exaggerated "ouch" and as she started getting the top teeth I would say 'no biting' in a stern voice. Usually she just looks at me like she's confused, but its probably been a month since she's tried to bite so I think its worked alright. She used to bite down and not let up. My first reaction was pulling her off, and I ended up bleeding. Since then I bring her close instead and she then pulls off herself.
            I'm not quite ready to wean yet, I agree that its so convenient and cost effective. I couldn't imagine hauling around bottles and formula, though I have friends who insist its easier to do it that way. We both enjoy nursing, its such a nice quiet time.
            When did you guys eventually wean?

Comment

My twins never took the bottle, but at about 7 months or so I started them on sippy cups (avent to start, I think, with the big handles) and I generally put some formula in those. I gave them those with their "meals" and they seemed to really enjoy it. Over time, they started taking more and more formula from those sippy cups, and I started nursing them after the meal, instead of before. I also lumped all feedings together, so that solids and nursing was given at the same time, except for if I remember correctly the night time feeding at about 10 pm or so. That was just nursing. Anyway, they lost interest in nursing at about 9 months, which was a huge relief to me, and they continued to drink formula quite a bit from sippy cups. Eventually they moved to the Gerber sippy cups with the handles and the hard spout... Anyway, that was their experience. I would say that at this point transitioning to a bottle at all probably won't work... At least it never did for me, and I sure tried! Good luck and I'm glad to hear that she's not biting any more!
              Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Working...
              X