Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Sick baby :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick baby :(

Poor Aidan has an awful upper respiratory thing going on. It started yesterday afternoon and he is so miserable today. He just cries and whines non-stop when he is awake How do I know whether or not I should take him in to the pediatrician you guys? He seems feverish (very warm to the touch), and has a croupy cough.

I just don't want to run into the doctor and wait in the sick child waiting room with him and Alex for avirus...and I have a feeling that I would go in and be told to give him tylenol.....how do you guys decide?

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Poor Aiden! I hope he feels better soon!
    I am not one to ask about how to decide whether or not to take them since I tend to drag my kids in at the drop of a hat. I usually call the nurse and tell her what's going on and let her decide whether or not she thinks it warrants a checkup. If you really think he is having difficulties breathing, then I would take him in. (I like mine to at least get a pulse ox and have somebody listen to their lungs with respiratory stuff--we've had pulmonary issues with both of our girls, so I tend to be more paranoid about that sort of thing.)
    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Thanks Sue....I'm just on the fence on this one. I hate going in and paying $20 co-pays and waiting in the waiting room for an hour to be told it's a virus and to give him tylenol 8O I'm ashamed of myself!

I gave him a breathing treatment...we have the machine and meds left over from his RSV experience. He is finally resting comfortably.

Is this a horrible confession or what???? I'm embarassed to admit that I've just done that

In any case, I'm going to watch him closely and see how he does this afternoon....if he is still the same I'll take him to the walk-in clinic tonight. Do you think I'm awful now for treating him myself???

kris
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

It's tough to pack up a sick kid (and siblings) and head off to the drs office. Why not try some tylenol to see if it helps? If not, take him in and the you can say -- I DID give him tylenol.

Comment

Kris, if it makes you feel any better, we do it too. I'm a little foggy on what particularly warrants a breathing treatment, but this winter when our kids had respiratory infections, we would give them treatments up to a couple of times a day. It seemed to help them breathe better, especially at night. Our pediatrician does know we do this and as far as I know he is fine with it. I don't blame you for not wanting to go in. Since its only Tuesday, you could keep an eye for a few days and still get him in before the weekend if he doesn't seem to be improving.
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

As a pediatric Respiratory Therapist I will tell you that any respiratory distress in a baby 1 yr aside from a stuffy nose that keeps them from breathing well warrants a breathing treatment. If he is coughing, wheezing, or sounding gurgly in his chest(I know not very medical sounding) Then Albuterol can work wonders. Their airways at this age are so small and easily congested. Don't feel bad at all about giving hime one, two or however many you need during this illness. The only thing to keep a close eye on is the fever in case of pneumonia.

JMTCW

Comment

I agree about the neb treatment. It doesn't hurt him, and it obviously helped him. It wouldn't hurt him even if he wasn't showing symptoms. When Izzy had croup, they gave her a modified neb treatment (it was just saline, no albuterol) and I've been told lots of times for Steven (since he was diagnosed with asthma at about age 15 mos) to go ahead and give him a neb treatment of albuterol whenever I heard wheezing or he was just having a tough time sleeping due to excessive coughing, etc.

I think you did good, MOM!
              Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I agree!!!! As a Mom, I would give the treatment, check his temp and give Tylenol if needed.
                Luanne
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Sounds like you did the right thing, good plan of action! As long as he is resting better, that is what will help get his reserves back up to fight it "on his own".

We are very late to take the boys into the Dr office anymore. We have been so many freaking times!! We have all sorts of Peds tools here, so why make the 1/2 hour run, pay the co-pay, pay the gas, sit with 20 other sick kiddos, and get the same thing we have here?! We usually talk with the Pediatrician and consult before going ahead, so we have his "blessing". I would have done the same thing, Kris.

I hope he is better soon!

Comment

Working...
                  X