Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

There Was a Dental Emergency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There Was a Dental Emergency

Lambie fell on the stairs and nearly knocked out her front teeth. She bit through her upper lip and displaced her front teeth so badly she couldn't close her mouth.

I rushed her to the dentist. She screamed and cried for the whole 20 minute drive there (and she's not the sort to carry on). The dentist did a surgery to reset the teeth and put a splint on her teeth. It sort of looks like she has braces. Her lips are still badly swollen 4 hours later.

We go back to the dentist next week to remove the splint. In the meantime, shes eating soft foods and avoiding activity. No gymnastics this week. Then in another 3 weeks to see if the surgery was successful. If not, her teeth will have to be pulled after all this.

It was just a sickening experience.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Oh no, how scary! I have a friend whose son knocked his out around her age, maybe younger, but they just left them out since they were baby teeth.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Yeah, these are baby teeth. She may still lose them prematurely, especially since she had injured at least one of them before. The dentist thought she may be able to save them though and it was worth a try.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh poor thing and poor you. That must have been completely traumatizing. Thank goodness your dentist jumped into action!
        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Oh man. That sounds awful. Hope she feels better soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
            Oh poor thing and poor you. That must have been completely traumatizing. Thank goodness your dentist jumped into action!
            I actually had just gotten off the phone with the dentist’s office a couple hours before the accident. Lambie had been complaining about pain in one of her front teeth. She had a tooth trauma a couple years ago and one of her teeth is grey as a result. We’ve always watched it for abscess or looseness as we expected it may fall out sooner than usual. So, I’d made an appointment for tomorrow morning to have the tooth x-rayed.

When Lambie fell, I just hit redial on my cell phone and started shouting “IS THIS THE DENTIST OFFICE? IS THIS DR. SO-AND-SO’S OFFICE?” Lambie was screaming and vomiting and I was just frantic, trying to figure out if she’d also broken her nose or hit her head. The receptionist did an amazing job of calming us down and talking us through getting an ice pack together and coming to the office.

It really was awful. I had to hold her hands during the surgery and she was wailing notwithstanding the anesthesia because she was frightened. She’s all swollen and couldn’t drink a milkshake or broth for dinner tonight. She missed school all last week due to a cold, and yesterday for the Jewish holiday. The dentist says that she’ll be worse tomorrow so I don’t know if I’ll be able to send her.

She also has to quit thumb-sucking cold turkey because we don’t want her prying the teeth out or infecting her wound. I’ve got bandages on her thumbs and she’ll probably sleep with socks on her hands. She’s just miserable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

How awful. We had tooth trauma with my older son when he was 2. And again when he was 8. I remember the ride home from the dentist when he was 2 and had his front tooth pulled...."today was a bad day, daddy"
              I hope she recovers quickly
              Enabler of DW and 5 kids
              Let's go Mets!

Comment

Oh God Emily. I’m so sorry. I remember when Zoe fell and her tooth came out at the root. I don’t even remember what we did but I remember the panic and ache for her. Hopefully, you are both doing better ASAP.

Poor pumpkin. Poor mom.

Kris

~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by fluffhead View Post
                  How awful. We had tooth trauma with my older son when he was 2. And again when he was 8. I remember the ride home from the dentist when he was 2 and had his front tooth pulled...."today was a bad day, daddy"
                  I hope she recovers quickly
                  Awww, that’s so rough.

We’d had a really fun morning with a class at the natural history museum and PB&J for lunch (her favorite). Just before the accident she was saying “today just keeps getting better and better!” After the surgery was done, the dentist gave her some sherbet and Lambie was telling me “thank you for taking me to the dentist.” Which was so sweet and sad considering that some kids probably would have just had their teeth yanked out without bothering to see the dentist. Later, I offered her a milkshake and she said, “Today is the best day ever!” I guess she has a good attitude. She really is a trooper. She’s totally going to push back when I tell her she has to miss gymnastics this week.

Comment

Ugh I'm so sorry! On the bright side, she should be due to lose those tooth really soon regardless!
                    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I am so sorry. Motherhood is not easy!!
                      Luanne
                      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

How awful! How is Lambie today?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rufflesanddots View Post
                          How awful! How is Lambie today?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
                          She’s doing really well all things considered. Her mouth is still very swollen. She slept in a little this morning but woke and dressed in time to take the boys to school. She’s been excited about seeing her friends at school this afternoon. I’ve been offering her jello, broth, yogurt, etc. but she hasn’t eaten anything. I’ll give her a little more Tylenol before school.

She is such a trooper. I said something to her about the “adventure” we had the other day. I was so surprised when she said that it was a great day. While the bleeding and surgery and all was not so great, she thought that being comforted, having her teeth fixed, watching paw patrol, and eating sherbet were all pretty fabulous. She is looking forward to telling her friends all about it.

Comment

Aw good for her, I love her sense of adventure and spirit of positivity.
                            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Isn’t it amazing how they reframe things and what highlights they want to tell others? I’m so sorry this happened to her, and I hope she continues to have a positive outlook. And that she gets better soon!

Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Working...
                              X