Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Hair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair

So, I'm calling out to Moms of girls with long hair. What is the easiest way to comb out long hair after a bath?

I have thin, fine, wavy hair that is almost to my waist. So I work for 15-20 pain-filled, frustrating minutes to comb my hair out after I wash it. Today I just about gave up and called my friend to cut it off. But, I would be sad if I lost my hair, so I didn't do it. But, I am really hoping that there is an easier way to do this. Is there some trick I am missing?
    token iMSN "not a medical spouse"

Do you have a Wet Brush? That with conditioner makes a big difference here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
      Do you have a Wet Brush? That with conditioner makes a big difference here.

What is a Wet Brush?
      Do you rinse the conditioner out? What kind of conditioner do you use?

Comment

It's a brand of brush. It's amazing at getting through wet hair. I use it on myself and E. I personally use Pureology Clean Volume shampoo and conditioner. I do rinse it out. On E, I use Suave 3 in 1 Purely Fun Shampoo with Conditioner and rinse it out, and occasionally I'll spray it with No More Tangles before I brush it.

Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

I second the wet brush. My daughter hated having her hair brushed and that made a huge difference. It works well for her hair wet or dry. For both of us I use the giant bottles of Pantene from Costco because I’m cheap. I rinse the conditioner but just barely. It still feels a little slick if that makes sense which makes it easier to brush out but my scalp is pretty tough I think after years of long hair. My mil recommended using a detangler for dd but since we got the wet brush it hasn’t been such an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

We use a plastic comb while it's still soaking wet and full of conditioner. We also choose very slippy conditioner. I prefer to avoid silicone (because we don't wash DD's hair daily, and silicone builds up) so our current winner for conditioner is Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Zero. (We're using a Burts Bees shampoo.) You can also check out longhaircommunity.com for ideas. I used to belong to their forum when I wanted to grow my hair longer and keep it healthy. I never got past bra-strap length though! Waist-length is no easy feat!
            Alison

Comment

Another wet brush fan. TBH though, there is something to be said for regular trims. I notice a huge difference in the "tangliness" of my hair and especially my daughter's (she has hair like yours) when it hasn't been cut in awhile.
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
                We use a plastic comb while it's still soaking wet and full of conditioner. We also choose very slippy conditioner. I prefer to avoid silicone (because we don't wash DD's hair daily, and silicone builds up) so our current winner for conditioner is Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Zero. (We're using a Burts Bees shampoo.) You can also check out longhaircommunity.com for ideas. I used to belong to their forum when I wanted to grow my hair longer and keep it healthy. I never got past bra-strap length though! Waist-length is no easy feat!
                I've never seen this shampoo and conditioner before, but now I'm going to look for it! Their regular stuff leaves me feeling greasy. I'm looking for something that adds some serious shine but doesn't feel too heavy. I feel like I've tried everything but all the "shine" stuff has tons of silicone.
                Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
                  You can also check out longhaircommunity.com for ideas. I used to belong to their forum when I wanted to grow my hair longer and keep it healthy. I never got past bra-strap length though! Waist-length is no easy feat!
                  Thanks, I never thought of looking for a long hair community. I'll have to check that out! I definnetly want long hair, but it does have difficulties. So that community may be a good fit for me.

Comment

I used to let her watch tv while I did her hair so she would zone out. Said child is now a teenager and I'm no longer allowed to touch her hair. She is still traumatized. LOL
                    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
                      I've never seen this shampoo and conditioner before, but now I'm going to look for it! Their regular stuff leaves me feeling greasy. I'm looking for something that adds some serious shine but doesn't feel too heavy. I feel like I've tried everything but all the "shine" stuff has tons of silicone.
                      I think it's pretty new! I've searched since she was small for the perfect silicone-free slippy conditioner. Behentrimonium is the magic ingredient. Every time I walk through a grocery store or drugstore I look for a cheap conditioner that has it, since she has a decent amount of hair and needs to use a lot. I only noticed this one a few weeks ago, but it's working great for us!
                      Alison

Comment

Just writing to thank. I finally bought a Wet Brush. And brushing out my wet hair this morning didn't hurt. It still took a few minutes, but I am just so pleased that it did not hurt.

Comment

Good! My daughter and I both use one and love it!

Comment

Yay for the wet brush! My truck with my daughter and myself is I grab her hair to make a low ponytail and brush. I make sure to hold tight so she doesn’t feel me brushing. And than I part her hair in three sections. I do each section on its own always going from bottom to top. Never top to bottom. Once live done all three section in their own I’ll join it all together. Brush from the base of her neck down and then finish brushing from the top all the way down. She has curly hair down to her waist and I have straight hair to my waist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            wife to PGY1 GS and two little girls, and 1 annoying dog

Comment

You guys, I saw the Wet Brush display in Walmart and decided to grab one to try. My daughter LOVES it! Even on dry hair, she's brushing daily because it's so easy and pull-free. Yay! Thanks for the rec!
                              Alison

Comment

Working...
                              X