Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Common core math

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common core math

what are your thoughts? zoe's school just switched to common core and it's a disaster. Im not happy.

kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I’d need more info to understand what’s been a disaster about it. One thing I think has been problematic is that some older kids got early instruction in more algorithm based math (what we learned as children) but then were expected to know common core as they got older despite never having received instruction in it. This isn’t without precedent though, they did this with reading wen we were kids: flipping between phonics and “whole word” method within a couple of years.

I will say that as a homeschooler, I’ve used both methods/thought processes to teach flexibility and fluidity in math and it’s been helpful.

Common core uses a lot more visuals and emphasizes more about place value, etc. It’s been helpful to show my daughter a variety of strategies and then we discuss which strategies are most efficient. We do something called “number talks” where I give her math problems and then we solve with mental math using a variety of methods.

For example, I might write 73 + 49. Now “algorithm math” would tell you to stack the 73 and 49 and add with carrying to get the answer. But there are other ways to do this too. For example, one “common core” way would be to use a number line or make a friendly number (add the 3 to the 49 to make 52, then add 70 + 52 which might be easier bc doesn’t require remembering to carry).

Anyway, the answer to the problem doesn’t change, 73 + 49 = 122 in any format, it’s just a different way to solve.

I honestly think the best way is the way that works best for the child. My daughter having learned both “ways” chooses the way that is most efficient for her in any given problem. If I gave her 73 + 24, she would undoubtably use the algorithm (stack and add) because that’s most efficient in that situation.

She loves math and I think part of the reason is that we approach it in multiple ways.

So I guess that’s a really long winded way of saying... common core isn’t bad, it’s just different and parents generally don’t like different when they have to help with math homework. But since I’ve researched and understood it, I think it’s great to have more flexibility in teaching math!

Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

The disaster is that Zoe is in 8th grade. She has always excelled in math. Now she doesn’t understand all of the extra steps and is struggling, along with her class. I think it’s too late to implement it.

Comment

As a math teacher, I think CC has alot to offer. But when a school district or private school jumps in with both feet and small-minded teachers can only teach what the textbook offers, it can be a disaster. I know that when my own children come home with worksheets that just go CC the whole way and don't offer any options, it does nobody any favors. Like anything else, you pick and choose the details which work.
        With all these new-fangled educational schemes, I think in 25 or 30 years we'll see what lasts - it's not gonna be a whole lot.
        Enabler of DW and 5 kids
        Let's go Mets!

Comment

I haven’t used them, but I’ve heard good things about Danica McKellar’s books. She writes math books for middle school girls. Maybe a new perspective could help?
          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Turns out they aren’t doing common core, but now I’m going to read up on it.

Kris

Comment

Working...
            X