Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

School in the Fall.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We homeschool (and have for 4 years), but on record we’re “independent study” students, even though I do all of my own lesson planning and implementation. My kids were on campus for specials (library, sports, lunch, music) where they saw their friends. They miss their friends, but the shelter-in-place has not phased them much. Our homeschool class is still earning grades while the rest of the school has been switched to CR/NC. The homeschool program has been inundated with requests to join, but our teacher feels that she is at capacity.

Our family will likely forgo the specials if the virus is circulating in the community next Fall. I’m not worried about my kids, they’re still well-adjusted and doing fine. I have one introvert, two extroverts, and the baby. It’s not ideal, but they understand this is temporary. But what my
    kids have given up is less than most kids. My kids’ haven’t had their whole flow interrupted and they are not struggling. They are excited school is ending and we get to start our summer unit studies and follow a much more relaxed schedule.

It’s fine to say that distancing learning isn’t for everyone, but I can say that homeschooling has helped my kids weather this crisis much better than many of their peers because the mass majority of their schedule has not changed.
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
      And I grew up with parents who were self absorbed and didn’t pour anything into us unless it was going to reflect publicly on them in terms of achievement or prestige.

So yeah, it matters to me that I can do something that influences their life and pours into them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      You seem to enjoy it immensely. My point was really it doesn't matter if it is an amazing thing for them if it is going to be horrible for me...because then by extension it isn't a good thing for them.
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I love that the distinction has been made between homeschooling, online/remote/crisis learning, and traditional schooling. True homeschooling entails choosing curriculum, pacing, scheduling, providing materials, supplementing and enriching, monitoring, and delivering instruction. Clearly, helping your kid do work online or in a packet, while challenging, is not tantamount to homeschooling. The "joke" that is floating around on the internet that people want a refund for their property taxes right now because school is "not in" chaps my lily white ass. I have never taken more PDs, tracked down families, recreated curriculum than in the past two months. Believe me, I get it, remote education is NOT as effective but it doesn't make it any cheaper or easier.

On a personal note, once our state's quarantine extended from 2 weeks to indefinitely, I politely told my youngest son's teacher that I would deliver standards-based education across multiple subjects, but he would not participate in choice board or zoom meetings anymore. Once a week I took pictures of his work and sent them so he would earn his "Pass" for the year. If I'm going to do it, damn it, I'm going to do it. There have been MANY benefits academically. I have been able to push him in math and science and remediate him in handwriting and writing. (In a case of the cobbler's children have no shoes, my kid's writing and handwriting needed some additional support). But it has sucked for him from a developmental or social/emotional learning point of view. My happy, go lucky youngest is lonely, bored, and irritable for the first time ever. He'll get through it, but it is not ideal.

I truly get ALL sides of this. For years, I contemplated homeschooling but ultimately sided with Flynn's analysis. Things like activities, leadership, various teaching styles are more accessible (note ...I did not say exclusively accessible) in a traditional format. I also have always carried 95% of the parenting burden and as a family decision, it's ok to say that we all need healthy breaks from one another much like SoonerTexan suggested.

I do think it is time to have a dialogue about what school is (my school provides meal, healthcare, counseling, tutoring, etcetera) as well as redesign it to work better for our society. It is my true hope that since we must go through this crisis, we try to harness it to come out better on the other side.
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Our district also hasn’t made any decisions yet, and I’m on the fence about if I will send my kids back.

On one hand, the public schools need funding now more than ever, and withdrawing them would mean they wouldn’t count towards enrollment. Also, my daughter wants the social interactions, and my son needs them.

On the other hand, as a SAHM, I have the ability to homeschool, and I probably wouldn’t hate it. Without my kids in the school, there would be less crowded classrooms, and they wouldn’t be risking exposing other kids if DH brings it home from work.

I’m glad we have the summer to learn more and make decisions!
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

For the time being, I’ve enrolled mind and I’m going to hope for the best. I’ll hold off on making any firm decisions until I see what is planned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I stick to my standard rule, “we won’t participate in stupid” We love our little school environment, they love on our kids just as much as we do at home. There are hugs, prayer, support, high fives, etc all day long. The academics are average but we accept that because the environment is not to be believed. If some moron from the diocese forces rules that destroy the environment then we’ll homeschool for the next year. Regardless of what I want I have to do what is best for my children and I don’t believe an environment where they learn to see their fellow man as a vector for disease is healthy in the short term or the long term. I simply won’t participate. I realize this isn’t a choice everyone can make but it’s one I will have to make. I also spent nearly three years teaching our youngest how to smile. How to read facial cues. How to show emotion in her face. I’ll be dammed if I let a mask destroy that.
              So we are registered for school next year. Our 11 year old has been asking to homeschool (she’s self motivated so enjoys working at her own pace and has also been fighting early eds symptoms and would love not to throw up at school). Our 7 year old wants to go back to school. I told them that the plan is to enjoy summer and see what August brings. That no matter what we will do what is best for them and they get a say in the matter. I don’t think anyone knows anything at this point.
              Tara
              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Here’s kind of the weird thing. Our daycares are open for essential workers aka the most exposed group. The kids run, play, hug, wrestle, sit in the sand box together etc. no problem. I have not heard of one covid transmission and no one is running around with masks, plastic barriers, or any of that crap. No one is even talking about it. But school? Everyone be scared.

~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
                  Here’s kind of the weird thing. Our daycares are open for essential workers aka the most exposed group. The kids run, play, hug, wrestle, sit in the sand box together etc. no problem. I have not heard of one covid transmission and no one is running around with masks, plastic barriers, or any of that crap. No one is even talking about it. But school? Everyone be scared.

Right. Kids are very low risk and also don’t even seem to be good vectors in this case. Schools should just open like normal and let kids be kids imo. 🤷🏻*♀️
                  Tara
                  Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
                    Right. Kids are very low risk and also don’t even seem to be good vectors in this case. Schools should just open like normal and let kids be kids imo. 🤷🏻*♀️
                    I agree with this. We have already had a kid sleepover at our house with lots of happy faces. Two careful families making a calculated decision.

~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I truly hope we are open in September. My honors and AP students have been doing well - they are motivated and are learning. But the kids who struggle in person have been struggling much more desperately on zoom. It's going to be so very difficult to keep this up in the fall - and I truly hate teaching this way. Especially science topics where I can't effectively demonstrate or do labs.
                      For my own kids, they're getting by - lots of zooming, and they connect with friends online. But it's been a drag, and especially for my oldest who is supposed to start college in the fall, I really hope they are able to be in school.
                      Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                      Let's go Mets!

Comment

I read nearly 2000 comments on a survey our school district sent out. People are very much divided. Some say distance learning is the only way to go and can be done effectively (and not like the dumpster fire we experienced 4th quarter). Others want a hybrid of abbreviated in person classes and virtual school. Then many are saying we "shouldn't live in fear," ,"Covid is not harmful to kids," "Kids can't transmit Covid, " "My kid won't wear a mask," "We need childcare," "I won't let my kid take a vaccine even if there was one," "if you are acared, then don't send your kid," "Sports should be #1 priority," "School should open and look exactly like it did last Fall."....

I'm just so worried.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I imagine that even with school opening, there will be restrictions in MA about number of students in a room, group activities, masks, etc.
                          Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                          Let's go Mets!

Comment

My small rural district has abysmal internet access, and our elementary kids don’t have school-issued devices for elearning. The last quarter of the school year was not great. I have no idea what next year will look like, and we aren’t likely to get any recommendations from the state until July 1st or after (school starts August 3rd). I *really* do not want to try to teach music remotely. Being with the kids energizes me in a way that I don’t think I can duplicate on my own in front of a screen. We’ll see, I guess!

Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

good luck for you and your kids , success

Comment

Working...
                              X