Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Teachers getting nervous about school starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teachers getting nervous about school starting

I’m friends with a few teachers who are nervous about school starting. There is talk of walking out if they can not teach behind Plexiglas. Basically, they feel why should I trust a student’s family to do the right thing. I’m very sympathetic to this because I have my own anxiety. I’ve caught one of the teachers out without a mask, so it seems a little odd. What are you hearing about school starting and how teachers will be protected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

MA has put out guidelines. Keeping kids apart, wearing masks, taking breaks outdoors. If things spike, we'll close back down. I can understand older teachers being concerned. But I have had enough of teaching over zoom - it's fine for the high achievers, but many kids were just falling off the curve. Hopefully we can make this work - though lab activities will be challenging - we may have to drop them.
    Enabler of DW and 5 kids
    Let's go Mets!

Comment

Teachers getting nervous about school starting

Lab activities. Ugh. Are there some kits the school would buy for doing at home? Are you nervous?
      [MENTION=852]fluffhead[/MENTION] what classes are you teaching?

Last edited by PrincessFiona; 07-04-2020, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Our superintendent refuses to make any decisions before August and it's crazy-making. He is completely gung-ho and adamant that he will do everything he can to get back to 100% normal school in the fall. On the last day of school he FINALLY admitted to preparing for the state board of education's requirements: there will be masks, there will be 6' of spacing, and there probably will not be band. But although he's planning on about 10% of families staying with total distance learning -- which makes room in the physical classrooms and MIGHT make in-person school possible despite distancing -- he's not taking any steps to improve our options for distance learning, or to make concessions for the teachers to have enough prep time to be able to teach both online and in-person. I have no idea how any of it will work, and the uncertainty is driving me crazy. We'll just keep waiting to see I guess. Collective bargaining with the teachers' union is delayed to August, by which time the budget and the schedule will be locked in, so I feel like the teachers will be at massive disadvantage. We already RIFed 9 of them and like 9 paraeducators.
        Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
          Our superintendent refuses to make any decisions before August and it's crazy-making. He is completely gung-ho and adamant that he will do everything he can to get back to 100% normal school in the fall. On the last day of school he FINALLY admitted to preparing for the state board of education's requirements: there will be masks, there will be 6' of spacing, and there probably will not be band. But although he's planning on about 10% of families staying with total distance learning -- which makes room in the physical classrooms and MIGHT make in-person school possible despite distancing -- he's not taking any steps to improve our options for distance learning, or to make concessions for the teachers to have enough prep time to be able to teach both online and in-person. I have no idea how any of it will work, and the uncertainty is driving me crazy. We'll just keep waiting to see I guess. Collective bargaining with the teachers' union is delayed to August, by which time the budget and the schedule will be locked in, so I feel like the teachers will be at massive disadvantage. We already RIFed 9 of them and like 9 paraeducators.
          Wow. How frustrating!

Comment

I have thoughts...so many thoughts. Let this be my book mark so that when someone responds it will ding me.
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
              I have thoughts...so many thoughts. Let this be my book mark so that when someone responds it will ding me.
              Ding

Comment

We hear a lot about kids wearing masks, sitting 3-6 feet apart (according to the APA, and temperature taking to ensure kids don’t spread it, but teachers can also be vulnerable populations or have aging parents. The plastic face shield seems like a good idea to me. Not touching students would be hard in the younger grades. I also wonder how well kids will wear masks and socially distance.

Alex’s varsity soccer team started a month ago. I literally just have to sign a form each time that he has no temp or covid symptoms. They practice for two hours twice a week and then meet a couple times to practice outside of school. It’s weird that we are talking these serious restrictions and then playing soccer as usual.

Comment

There are virtual labs, which will do in a pinch. I'd never let them do labs at home. Imagine the lawsuits when they burn the house down.
                  Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                  Let's go Mets!

Comment

Originally posted by fluffhead View Post
                    There are virtual labs, which will do in a pinch. I'd never let them do labs at home. Imagine the lawsuits when they burn the house down.
                    I hadn’t thought about that.

Comment

Parents here can choose virtual schooling options or choose the "main route" which has 4 stages of openness depending on case counts in the county (county schools). The levels take into account that some schools could stay open or partially open while others temporarily close down. At one stage, everyone is virtual. All kids will be required to wear masks on the bus and kids in 3rd grade and up have to wear masks, but it is optional for K-2. I am fine with all of this. I do not know enough people here yet to know what the teacher opinion is.

I am starting to hunt down some comfortable, good quality masks for my two in grade school. I think they are going to be hard to come by in August.
                      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                        Parents here can choose virtual schooling options or choose the "main route" which has 4 stages of openness depending on case counts in the county (county schools). The levels take into account that some schools could stay open or partially open while others temporarily close down. At one stage, everyone is virtual. All kids will be required to wear masks on the bus and kids in 3rd grade and up have to wear masks, but it is optional for K-2. I am fine with all of this. I do not know enough people here yet to know what the teacher opinion is.

I am starting to hunt down some comfortable, good quality masks for my two in grade school. I think they are going to be hard to come by in August.
                        I bought some from Amazon today. Most wont arrive until after school starts.

Comment

Wow ST. It sounds like your school has a well thought out plan. Ours is very vague and there are no details. I’ve been trying to find a good mask option for my kids. So far I’ve made two different types but it takes me almost all day to make a set. They weren’t big fans of the ones that go on the ears that we tried but we should probably try a different kind because those would be easiest to get on and off. My sister just bought some from Old Navy and I’m waiting to hear what she thinks of them.

Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

I’ve developed a bit of a mask buying addiction thanks to the Etsy app on my phone. Each of my kids likes a different style, so it’s been good to try out some different things and see what works before school starts. I figure we’ll need at least 5-7 for each kid so I’m not washing them after school each day. I’m also planning to get some personalized ones with their names or faces on them so it’s easy to return when they inevitably get left behind in the classroom or on the playground. My kids lose everything at school.

Comment

I work in a large urban district that just sent 700 furlough notices out at a time when we will need to social distance MORE, not less. Certainly more RIFs are coming. These RIFs were not done in compliance with provisions set forth for RIFs in the collective bargaining agreement under which we operate. Our district is expecting a 35-50 million dollar deficit.

After much handwringing, the board voted for 50% in person, 50% remote, divided into two groups (Group A: M/T live instruction; Group B: W/Th/F live; then flip). Kids will stay in their room for lunch and specials. Our State has officially "strongly encouraged" use of masks in school. This exhonarates the schools from having to provide them at extra expense. The "lucky" remaining teachers who kept their job will run live and online classes simultaneously. Pause here for a minute and imagine those logistics.

Now that everyone is scared shitless about loosing their jobs, what recourse is there for sick leave, failing to follow safety protocols by admin, and an already known lack of substitutes in the region? Teachers already pay hundreds and thousands for materials and supplies. Now we will pony up for "strongly encouraged" mask use.

When someone says, "sacrifices must be made", they mean sacrifices must be made by someone else, like the teachers for example. People do not value education in this country and they certainly devalue teachers. It is mind boggling. I wish we could just be honest and instead of attributing this admittedly hard decision as "best for kids" honestly state, "Parents need school as de facto child care".

But somehow teachers will be guilted into doing whatever "for the kids" like a woman in a bad marriage. All these things that are being cut because of the deficit, won't come back post virus. It's another chink towards dismantling public education. I pray that teachers everywhere take the long view about what mountains are worth dying on. Sadly, many of them loose their job and pensions in Right to Work states for striking. We're not just negotiating for emergency circumstances of right now, we're negotiating for the soul of public education. It's time to look beyond ourselves and our immediate needs and think about where we want to get on the other side of this virus.
                              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                              X