Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

American Pediatric Association school guidelines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Pediatric Association school guidelines

I thought this was interesting

https://services.aap.org/en/pages/20...on-in-schools/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I'm terrified for the kids / teachers when the schools open.
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Controversial opinion alert:

How the hell did we get to the point where (some of) the same people who used to point to the AAP and CDC 6 months ago when it came to things like anti-vaxxers are now shitting on those organizations and acting like anti-vaxxers when it comes to reopening schools. To be clear, I am not in favor of wholesale opening of schools across the board and I'm glad they released the statement that basically told Trump to shut up and not weaponize their statement.

Still, somehow this document by a reputable organization when it comes to pediatric health has become a dirty thing in some circles. I have literally seen these comments on Facebook and Reddit: "Well the AAP has been corrupted by the White House." "They aren't epidemiologists, they don't know anything." "I don't care what they say, look at X article pointing to specific case where a child became ill."

Seriously, WTF. I guess fear is a powerful thing.
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Idk. I am officially on my daughter’s best friend’s mom’s shit list. She’s an art teacher at our school and is convinced she’ll be killed if she has to teach and wants online school. I told her that if school’s online, we’ll drop out as we won’t pay the 40k tuition for 2 kids for zoom schooling. I lost a friend. Oh well. I get the fear and uncertainty and the desire not to be an essential worker. I’ll tell Thomas to opt out too. Being sarcastic because I’m ticked.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
          Controversial opinion alert:

How the hell did we get to the point where (some of) the same people who used to point to the AAP and CDC 6 months ago when it came to things like anti-vaxxers are now shitting on those organizations and acting like anti-vaxxers when it comes to reopening schools. To be clear, I am not in favor of wholesale opening of schools across the board and I'm glad they released the statement that basically told Trump to shut up and not weaponize their statement.

Still, somehow this document by a reputable organization when it comes to pediatric health has become a dirty thing in some circles. I have literally seen these comments on Facebook and Reddit: "Well the AAP has been corrupted by the White House." "They aren't epidemiologists, they don't know anything." "I don't care what they say, look at X article pointing to specific case where a child became ill."

Seriously, WTF. I guess fear is a powerful thing.
          As far as I'm concerned, my COVID-conservative state's guidelines (released before the AAP) are basically the same. Namely, our superintendent of schools has issued guidance that states clearly that getting kids back to face-to-face school is VERY IMPORTANT on a multitude of levels, and so getting as many kids back as soon as possible is the standard to shoot for, Plan A as you will. BUT, they then lay out the health guidance from the Department of Health and Labor and Industries, which may impact the "as possible" part of that. The main difference from the AAP is that we are asking for 6 feet of distancing, not 3, and we're asking for masks at all ages. But that goes to the logistics of actually running a school district as well as being concerned with the health of the kids. If our kids are masked and sitting 6 feet apart from each other and from teachers most of the time, and someone pops positive, we may be able to get away with just excluding the positive kid, and not quarantining the class and teacher. But we'll have to see what epidemiology and contact tracing show us when we actually get there.

As for us, I'm still super conflicted. My county has a super low incidence, and I am encouraged by the many studies that are showing both low severity and low contagion among the under-10 set. But my kids are going to middle school, and kids over 13 or 14 seem to transmit the virus just as much as adults. And even with distancing, it seems inevitable that another closure WILL happen, we WILL go back to distance learning, so maybe we should just stick with the online option or homeschool for consistency? I have no idea.
          Alison

Comment

I think a challenging part of this is how quickly information changes. When the AAP statement was released they hadn't identified middle and high schoolers as spreading the virus as much as adults.

I'm frustrated being at home right now, but relieved I'm not having to figure school out. It's a mess and I don't envy any of you parents having to make these choices. Since our county cases continue to
            rise and there is a significant population that thinks covid is a hoax/not serious, I'd probably keep G home.

Kris, I have no idea how your school is funded since it's private. I will tell you my public school friends, even those in wealthy districts, are very apprehensive. Their classrooms are full, they have to supply their own PPE and sanitizing supplies, the schools aren't prepared to disinfect every single day, and their windows don't open and their HVAC systems are old. They also don't have the salaries that doctors do, so they probably aren't as well insured should they become disabled or die due to covid.

I'm not saying this isn't hard for Thomas or your family. I'm saying his job and her job are very different. I wouldn't want to be teaching in most places either, and if I was that scared, even if it was irrational, I would've been hurt/irritated/whatever by your response, too. I hope you two can reconnect when things settle down.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree their jobs are different. Our school is huge. Classes are very large with low numbers of students. All windows open and there is a lot of outdoor space to teach. If they don’t open, they don’t open, but will we want to pay the full tuition. This teacher was a little aggressive. Her daughter goes to the school and she is sending her back if we open. She’s also paying for her 5th grader to be taught by a homeschool group. That sounds risky too.

Comment

Also, all I said is that we won’t send them if it’s virtual because of the high cost.

Comment

Working...
                X