Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

First Pony Ride (at the zoo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Pony Ride (at the zoo)

So I fudged a bit on my daughter's age yesterday. You need to be 2 to ride the ponies but they only are available in the summer so if I waited until she was 2, we'd have to wait until next summer for an opportunity!

My first love was horses...before sports and everything and I took quite a few lessons over the years so this was just as much for me as it was for her. While we were in line I asked her if she was sure she wanted to do this today and we could try another time if that's what she wanted to do. I didn't want to force the kid to get on a pony if she wasn't ready!!! I was shocked that she wasn't scared a bit! Not one backward glance of minor fear!!

She got the biggest kick out of it and told anyone who would listen later that day she rode a brown pony!!

Thank goodness I had my friend's digital camera!!!

It was a good day!!
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

How fun! Does she seem to have horses in her blood, like you did? I think some kids (like my sister) are just born with it, and my soon-to-be three year old has had a love for horses since before she could walk or talk!
    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I'm not sure if she's a "horse person" but she's certainly not scared of them!

I agree that some people are born with "the horse bug" and some of us are lucky to scratch that itch a bit while we are young. I would have loved to own a horse but it wasn't possible where we lived and boarding was so expensive so I went to camps and used babysitting money for lessons as I got older. I'm really glad I had the experience!

I think a lot of "animal people" are not comfortable around horses due to their size and cost of upkeep which I understand. It's hard "to be boss" around a horse three times your size!!

I have a feeling we will be visiting the pony rides for years to come!
      (I can't help but feel a little bit proud that she wasn't scared...and a little embarassed that I am proud of her for doing something I love! )
      Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Flynn,

I love these moments when you realize that your child has found a new passion or interest or crossed a new developmental milestone. I keep a hodgepodge of pictures like these in my head and they sustain me. (Especially when I'm having a Mommy-the-Hun day! )

Enjoy your little girl. This parenting thing goes way, way too fast.

Kelly
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Flynn, that's so exciting!! I'm glad she had fun.

I too was bitten by the horse bug early on took lessons until I went away to college. I'm still hoping to get a chance to ride again (not so easy in the city!)

Comment

Flynn, where are the pics you took with your friend's digicam?? C'mon, you gotta post 'em!

Comment

Working...
            X