Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Cereal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cereal

I know its a little early, but I'm thinking of starting Mitchell on cereal. He's 3.5 months old and the little guy has an insatiable appetite. I read an article today that suggested until they are 4 months old their digestive systems don't have the enzymes to break down anything beyond breast milk or formula, but I'm wondering if I can fudge a little since he's 11 days away from being 4 months old. I'm actually not dieing to start cereal since it is such a hassle but I'm nursing this kid around the clock. He's going through a huge growth spurt so I'm sure if I hang in there a few days my milk flow will increase. Anyhow, I realize this is a disjointed message (I'm too tired and distracted to proofread this) but I'm wondering if anyone else has started cereal this early?
    Awake is the new sleep!

We started at 4 months to the day and it was great because my daughter refused a bottle (with ANYTHING in it) until she was about 8 months old. The cereal allowed someone else to feed her and it was something new for her.

We started at the encouragement of our pediatrition so we weren't worried about starting that early.

Nursing around the clock sounds AWFUL. Are you sure baby is hungry or just wanting some comfort/attention/entertainment?? Feeding more than once a night right now is pretty excessive!
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

We started our first a little before 4 months just because I was curious. She took the cereal and digested it fine. I don't know how much she actually got because she didn't really have the tongue reflex yet to push it back into her throat. She learned quickly. With #2, I didn't start until 6 months because it seemed like such a PITA. She also preferred nursing.

I don't think it will hurt if you tried it.

Jennifer
      Needs

Comment

We didn't start that early with the PITA factor high on the list. Our pediatrician said 4m was fine (although I think the AAP and WHO say 6 months). I'll bet it wouldn't hurt to try but I wonder how much it will help. It seems like Anna doesn't get much out of the cereal and fruit/veggies we feed her and that she is just "practicing" and learning how to eat -- not a big source of calories for her. Maybe mix a little formula into it to make it more substantial?
        Anna is still eating a lot too. About every 2.5 hrs during the day. 8O But she is definitely hungry (and chubby too!).

Comment

I also gave both my girls cereal around 4 months. They are now healthy young ladies!!!!!
          Luanne
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I should clarify, the baby is nursing around the clock during the day and sleeping fantastic at night. He sleeps 11 hour stretches at night--huh, maybe he is making up for it by eating constantly during the day? Anyhow, I suppose since I'm getting so much sleep I shouldn't be whining so much! I'm going to see how today goes and if he still seems unsatisfied I might go get some cereal. He doesn't really take a bottle either, so it would be nice for somebody else to be able to feed him for once!
            Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Originally posted by lunatic
              in Child Magazine that there is some research suggesting that feeding a baby cereal prior to six months can increase the risk for Type 1 diabetes.
              I have read this research as well. but I believe that the children in the study are genetically predisposed to developing Type 1 diabetes, thereby skewing the results a bit.

Of course, I didn't bother feeding Gavin cereal except for a few times. I just started him right onto fruits and veggies.

Comment

Working...
              X