Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

breast milk questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breast milk questions

I knew all these things at one time, but would someone please remind me....

1. How long can you freeze milk?
    2. How do you thaw it? How long does it take?
    3. What is the best way to heat it up?

Thanks,

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Geez...barely remember and don't take this as right way....but we:
    1. 3 months in the freezer
    2. Thaw in the fridge -- takes a few hours, I think
    3. Heat it in a mug of hot, hot water as microwaving is supposed to be bad for milk

We lost the whole stash of milk in the freezer with the move so I kind of forget!

Comment

What she said 8)

kris
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I thought six months in the freezer was ok (not that I have some huge stash! )

Babycenter.com has a good blurb about this stuff....

Marla

Comment

Kelly,

I thought you might be interested in this article I saw last week:

Erica

Study: Breast milk loses potency when refrigerated

THURSDAY, Oct. 20 (HealthDayNews) — Breast milk is better than formula, but a new study says it loses some of its best properties once it's refrigerated.

While breast milk has more antioxidants than formula, fresh breast milk boasts a higher level of antioxidants than refrigerated or frozen breast milk does, according to the study appearing in the Fetal and Neonatal edition of the Archives of Disease in Childhood.

"We found that breast milk has more antioxidant capacity than formula milk, but if you store it and freeze it, it will lose some of those properties," said study author Dr. Thomas Hegyi, program director of Neonatology at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

But Hegyi quickly added that he's not trying to make mothers feel guilty about having to store milk, or for using formula. "Breast milk is good. Fresh breast milk is optimal, but if you can't, that's OK," he said, adding that many babies have grown up fine on formula.

However, in the study, Hegyi and his colleagues did note that getting extra antioxidants may be more important for premature infants. Babies born prematurely don't have as great an antioxidant capacity as full-term infants do. They also have more oxidative stress and, thus, a greater need for antioxidants than full-term babies, according to the study.

To test the antioxidant capacity of breast milk, samples were gathered from 16 mothers within 24 hours of delivery. Half of the mothers delivered their babies at term, and the other half delivered prematurely. These samples were tested for their antioxidant capacity when they were fresh, then after refrigeration for 48 hours and for seven days, and finally after being frozen for 48 hours and for seven days.

Additionally, the researchers tested five different formula samples and found the antioxidant capacity between the different formulas was nearly the same. Also, the researchers found that the antioxidant capacity was similar in the milk from mothers who gave birth prematurely and in mothers whose babies were born at term.

Fresh human milk, whether it had been refrigerated or frozen, had a significantly higher antioxidant capacity than formula.

Antioxidant levels fell in breast milk the longer it was stored. And the colder the sample was, the lower the antioxidant level was. Antioxidant levels in formula remained constant whether fresh, refrigerated or frozen.

"This study doesn't surprise me," said Angela Kurtz, a pediatric nutritionist at New York University Medical Center. "When we look at fresh food, water-soluble vitamins are often lost with cooking, storage, etc. Water soluble vitamins are so sensitive to their temperature and environment."

Kurtz also pointed out that the mother's diet can change her antioxidant levels, and that heating breast milk can also reduce the amount of antioxidants present. She recommended running bottles under warm water, and said parents should never place a bottle in boiling water or in the microwave.

Katy Lebbing, manager of the Center for Breast-feeding Information for La Leche League International in Schaumburg, Ill., agreed the study results weren't surprising.

"We've known that with storage, either in the refrigerator or freezer, we do lose some nutrients," said Lebbing. But, she added, there may not be much a mother can do to alter her storage habits if she works. Lebbing also pointed out that the study reinforces the value of breast milk, and said "breast milk is the gold standard."

Hegyi and his colleagues recommended that if possible, breast milk shouldn't be frozen, and if stored in the refrigerator, they suggest using it within 48 hours for the highest antioxidant levels.

-- Serena Gordon, HealthDayNews

What you can do
          Breastfeed your baby if you can. Research shows it might help ward off illness, as well as provide many other benefits to babies and mothers. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding your baby for the first year of life.
          • Having trouble breastfeeding? Use our problem solver, or find support on our bulletin board.

Source: Thomas Hegyi, M.D., program director, division of neonatology, professor and vice chairman, department of pediatrics, and associate dean, faculty affairs, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick; Angela Kurtz, M.S., R.D., pediatric nutritionist, New York University Medical Center, New York City; Katy Lebbing, I.B.C.L.C., manager, Center for Breastfeeding Information, La Leche League International, Schaumburg, Ill.; 2004 Fetal and Neonatal edition, Archives of Disease in Childhood
          Copyright © 1997-2004 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.

Comment

Thanks for the article! I'm trying to create a stockpile for when I have to return to work, but I still want it to be healthy and not outdated. This time, however, I won't kill myself to pump at midnight if I only have two bottles of breastmilk for the next day. I'll just allow the third bottle to be formula.

Thanks for all the support.

Kelly
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I will forward that information to my SIL who has 500 ounces stored in the freezer. Yup, in little 5 ounce baggies. Crazy. You could feed quads with the amount of milk that woman can produce. We told her she needs to quit her job and be a wet nurse.

She did not find us as amusing as we did.

Jenn

Comment

Oh my goodness! How big is her freezer???

Comment

The house Pediatrician, also mother of two that breastfed for one year with each, says that you can store breastmilk for up to 6mths in the freezer and the loss of nutrients is not significant unless your kiddo was VERY premature, and that the article is right on with refrigerated breastmilk. After 48hrs, it would be best to toss it.

What we did was stored it in a deep freeze when we had a surplus, then as the 6mth timeline approached I would use those and freeze what was coming in. Once DW got back to work, the supply was drastically reduced and we never had more than about 3-4mths worth in the freezer.
                  We would take a frozen bag of "liquid gold" and thaw it in the fridge overnight, then place it in a coffee mug of HOT water to complete the job before consumption. Microwaving isn't BAD, it is just not good. It breaks down the proteins and other "goodies" that the baby needs passed straight to them from Mom.

Comment

Working...
                  X