Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

birthdays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• birthdays

(I apologize if this was a topic recently)

I'm just wondering what everyone thinks of always having to give a gift for childrens's birthdays, (not only this weddings, housewarmings, baptisms, etc..) My kids who are 3 and 1 always have something, so between us 4 I'm usually buying a gift for something on average once a week. I know they don't have to be expensive or super-cool. I just feel sometimes like I am getting gifted out. In this week alone I had flowers for a new baby, my daughter had a birthday party, and a babyshower. The funny part is I don't even have a huge acquantance (sp?) circle. Do you think when you have kids (that are old enough to have friends) and most of your friends are at baby-having or wedding stages there is a definite rise in gift-giving?

Just wondering if anyone else gets "gifted out".. I get stressed out also when I have to buy gifts, not only because it is time-consuming but also finding ways to get around dh evil budget eyes. He just doesn't understand that you can't show up without a gift. I think maybe I need to find some ideas for homemade-stuff but I'm not so crafty and it is time-consuming.

My daughter is young so we only have a few birthday parties a year (I know that will increase) but I have found that "going in on something" with another couple/family is a great way to save money, still participate and you might even get out of buying the gift.

I have done this a couple of times this past year and it's worked great if you can agree on a buget with the other party and split it reasonably...

This summer we went in on a gas grill with 4 other couples as a wedding + shower gift. The couple was thrilled because they just had the charcoal kind!
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Uh...I feel your pain. Especially because DH's family, who are in no position financially to be generous, go all out for Mother's Day, Anniversaries, Christmas, etc. It is truly sickening to get gifts from people on the edge of bankruptcy.

I also don't like the fact that our almost expects gifts from our numerous out of town guests. He thinks that when someone shows up, he gets something. For his fourth birthday, we wrote "no gifts please" on his invitation. He needs another toy like he needs a hole in his head.

When I buy children's gifts, I try to get things that are cheap and need replenished: like playdoh, cool bathtub bubbles, or markers. Sometimes I buy books.

I hear you about the gift budget tapping into other areas. We are constantly sending a Target gift card to someone for some occasion. I have to come up with a more fiscally responsible gift alternative.

Anyway, I will commiserate away with you.

Kelly
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
      X