Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Wierd vibrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wierd vibrations

I'm a little worried about something Mitchell has been doing. I have now seen him do it 3 times. I'll be nursing him (coincidentally it always happens when I'm nursing him on the left side) and for about 5 seconds his little head seems to vibrate. It doesn't seem like a volitional movement (he's not moving his head around trying to cuddle up or anything like that)--his head is literally vibrating. He continues to eat throughout this without missing a beat. I'm freaking out a bit and am going to put a call in to the pediatrician in just a minute here--it doesn't seem like a seizure (not that I would be able to recognize one if he was having one), but I can't figure out for the life of me what is going on. My sister was speculating that somehow he might have kinked a nerve that was triggering a muscle contration in his neck, which seems possible. Has anyone else ever witness their kid doing this? He is in his crib sleeping right now, but I'm worried if its a seizure or something he'll have one when I'm not around to respond to it so if he is out of my sight I check on him constantly.
    Awake is the new sleep!

did you call your ped? What did the dr. say?

Jennifer
    Needs

Comment

Sue....ditto to jenn's question. Maybe the way he lays when he is nursing just...pinches a nerve???

kris
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I am anxious to hear the answer to this one, too......

Sally
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I'll keep you guys posted, I'm still waiting to hear from the nurse.
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Well, the nurse is just as perplexed as I am. She is going to talk to the doctor and probably have him call me.
            Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I wonder if it has something to do with his positioning and his inner ear when he is sucking? Especially if he only does it on one side and only while nursing. I'm very curious about this. I know how unnerving it is when something is "wrong" with your child. TRY not to worry too much

Marla

Comment

Well, I consulted with my favorite peds neurologist who says that he wouldn't be too concerned about it, especially if he continues to nurse through it.

For whatever that's worth!

Jenn

Comment

Thanks Jennifer! I feel better that a neurologist wouldn't be concerned about it--it does seem like he would choke or something if he was nursing while it happened if something really serious (like a seizure) was going on, but I was still kind of paranoid about it. I finally did talk to the ped and he thinks he is trying to get latched on better. While I don't believe that is it at all (if anyone else were to see him I'm sure they would concur this is absolutely not a volitional movement), I'm willing to just keep an eye on it for now. It is probably just something really wierd like a muscle spasm or something (the inner ear theory is an interesting one, too, I hadn't even considered that!). Geez--you'd think by kid #3 I'd be more relaxed about this sort of thing!
                  Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Sue....I wonder if you could make an appt. and go in to see the ped (or even a lactation consultant) and see if you could reproduce this behavior in front of them?

It's probably nothing serious and at the same time, I know how frustrating it is to have that 'bad feeling' and not be able to have someone look at it or take the concern as seriously as you do.

I'm sure Jenn's husband is right though

Geez--you'd think by kid #3 I'd be more relaxed about this sort of thing!
                    I'm on baby#4 and I have taken Aidan in a couple of times because of his irregularly shaped head. It is weird. We even did that CT scan...and the bones aren't fused. Still, the head shape is abnormal in my eyes and I can't help but bring it up at every appt. My gut tells me something isn't right...but the ped says otherwise

kris
                    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I think that meeting with a lactation consultant and/or nursing in front of your ped is a great idea. I know you may feel like you're being neurotic paying your co-pay so you can nurse your baby in front of your doc, but hey, it might make you feel better! Believe me, I have gone in for lots of little sniffles lately. I'm sure they think I'm nuts (Mainly the receptionist!). Her ped always makes us feel like "if it were my child, I would bring her in, too". Good luck and keep us posted. Does this happen without fail when you nurse him on the left? Just curious.

Marla

Comment

No, actually it only happens occasionally. I like your idea about nursing there so they can see but I doubt he'd do it (so far it is once every couple of days). I'm hoping that my dh can at least see it as he seems to concur with the pediatrician. I swear it is way too fast and rhythmic to be something he is controlling! Maybe I should videotape myself nursing?
                        Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I'm in an alternative medicines class....and according to Traditional Chinese Medicine it means there is a "wind" disturbace. And you should tonify the liver to dispel the wind. But how you exactly do that I don't know yet. Just wanted to give you something to chuckle at...
                          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Does that mean he is passing gas Michele?
                            Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Working...
                            X