Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Spanish immersion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish immersion

We live in an area where the public schools are non-accredited and leave much to be desired. Pretty much everybody I know either sends their kids to private school or to one of the local charter schools. We recently went to an open house for a Spanish immersion school and were very impressed. The kids are taught every subject in Spanish up until grade 2, then in grade 2 they begin one hour of English per day. They teach math, science, social studies, etc., all in Spanish. I'm in the beginning stages of research for this type of schooling, but so far everything I reads indicates the kids don't fall behind academically when they are instructed this way, not to mention the added edge they would have down the road if they are fluent in another language. Does anybody else have any experience with this? I know we've got a handful of educators here, so I'd love any insights.
    Awake is the new sleep!

I don't know a whole lot about immersion, Sue, but it sounds awesome to me and if that was an option for my kids, I would definitely check it out. I really, really wish that I spoke Spanish, especially since I have lived in TX, but actually, even way back when I was teaching, we had some students who had moved to our small rural town from Mexico, and many small towns in Indiana have exploding hispanic populations. Any Spanish your girls pick up will be a real asset to them, I'm sure.

Let us know what you find out and what you decide!

Sally
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Sue,

I've done some investigation into german immersion programs and all I can say is "go for it". This would be an incredible experience for your children.

kris
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I have young cousins (5 and 7) who are and have been in a spanish immersion school. I've heard nothing but great things about it from their parents and the kids themselves. DH and I have talked about this a lot and definately will check it out for our kids, when they reach that point. I often wish I knew spanish too. I took German all the way through college, but I think you have many more opportunities to use spanish. But being bilingual in any case is a wonderful thing. I'd love to hear what you find out and decide.

Comment

I have adult friends from Mexico who attended private schools in Mexico in English. They are extremely well educated and speak both languages flawlessly. They are moving back to Mexico soon and will put their two daughters in English speaking private schools. They are both school teachers. Seems like your situation would be the same thing in reverse---seems like a great idea.

Angie
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Sue,

I love the idea of language immersion. Even if the child doesn't eventually learn the language, they are exposed to thinking about the world, people, their home, and language in a different light. It is easier to learn concepts like the fact that in some cultures people use terms to describe differences that we don't even see. (i.e. Ser/Estar- "To Be" takes on two different forms depending on the permanency of the situation. This is more difficult to learn as an adult because we have never been taught to pick up on the differences.)

For what it is worth, I pay big money out of our meager budget for my son to take a class on Saturdays and receive tutoring in Spanish after school. If you can get it for free, do it.

IMHO, EVERY type of education hasboth advantages and disadvantages, and it is our jobs as parents to supplement our children's educations to flesh out those deficiencies.

Kelly
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys. We are going to tour both of our top choices in a few weeks (on the same day hopefully) and then make our decision (of course that is assuming either school accepts us!). I really want to go the foreign language route, but am reserving my judgment until I see both schools while classes are in session. The parochial school is very non-diverse and I have a feeling it is more than a little snobby. I've been around some of the school parents for church fundraisers and while they seemed friendly, I thought the seemed a little pretentious. The foreign language seems to have a very diverse population with regards to race and socio-economic status, which appeals to us. I'm so relieved to have my husband on board with making this decision (up until a month or so ago he was pretty content to leave the decision up to me)!
              Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Originally posted by goofy
                I have adult friends from Mexico who attended private schools in Mexico in English. They are extremely well educated and speak both languages flawlessly. They are moving back to Mexico soon and will put their two daughters in English speaking private schools. They are both school teachers. Seems like your situation would be the same thing in reverse---seems like a great idea.

Angie
                Did they go to the American school in Puebla? I lived in Puebla for a year and came across these fluent in english mexican kids who went to that school... I guess it's pretty good, but those were the absolute snottiest kids I ever met!!! Oh well! The public schools in mexico are really horrendous, but all the schools there seem to do a significant amount of the education in English. I think we really need to move in this direction, and if there were a spanish immersion school close to me, I would definitely send my kids. (DH and I both speak Spanish, but sadly we barely speak it to our kids--- it's a lot of work!)
                Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I guess it's pretty good, but those were the absolute snottiest kids I ever met!!!

I actually don't know what town--but I found this hilarious. It's fun to think what your friends were like as kids. They seem nice enough now......

I too think more instruction--or at least a strong presence- of other languages needs to happen for kids here. I think the increase in the Latino population has been great for that. My kids actually are familiar with Spanish and WANT to learn what their many Latino friends are saying to each other. Strong motivation.....I took French all through my childhood. Guess I backed the wrong horse..... I'll have to learn Spanish with my kids.

Angie
                  Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                  Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Sue,

What did you decide?

Kelly
                    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Tomorrow, dh and I are touring the Spanish immersion school as well as the fancy schmancy private school associated with our church (which costs $7500 a year btw ). Seems like a no-brainer, doesn't it? I think that after seeing both schools in the same day we will both have a very clear idea which direction we want to go. Actually we might not get into either school in which case we'll be up sh*t creek without a paddle.
                      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Working...
                      X