Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Goody-bye Halloween

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goody-bye Halloween

Each year the halloween celebrations have been toned down around here....This year we got a letter from the schools....there will be no mention of halloween at school this year (it may scare some children or offend the religions of others), the kids will have a 'fall harvest party' today instead of the 'halloween' party and for the first time ever, they may not bring their costumes. Someone might get...scared.

Isn't that what halloween is about? costumes and spooky haunted houses?

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Re: Goody-bye Halloween

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
    Someone might get...scared.

Isn't that what halloween is about? costumes and spooky haunted houses?
    Yes, and demystifying those things so that you learn how to not be scared by them, I thought.
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

There was something about this on CNN this mornng. Someone from the NYC school district emailed that Halloween celebrations were toned down because of threats from religous groups. Apparently, they planned lawsuits based on the school systems endorsement of Satanism by celebrating Halloween. Yikes. Of course, the email was anonymous. The letter also said that the teachers were told to say it was due to an effort to make the school "less scary for kids" or for security reasons, but that was not the reason for the policy behind closed doors. It was interesting to me, because I completely bought the security argument. Wonder if it is a crock....

Angiei
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

That's too bad - we used to have so much fun at our school parties!

One of the school districts here will only allow to parties a year - Christmas and Valentine's Day. And somehow, they are supposed to have the parties without candy or other junk food.
        Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

That's so sad! Yesterday I was reminiscing about how fun Halloween was in grade school. I loved our costume contest and Halloween song sing-a-longs.

Comment

That is a bummer--we toured two grade schools today (one religious, one not) and the kids at each of them were having a blast parading around in their costumes, etc.
            Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I worked as a therapist for Autistic kids before I had DD. I spent a lot of time in school with one of my kids, and that particular school didn't allow any mention of Halloween either. No costumes, no candy, no spider web decorations, etc. They did have the "Fall Harvest", which didn't really take the place of the parties I remember having as a kid. I loved them, and I agree that its too bad things like this are being done away with.

They also have phased out the Christmas parties around here. Now its a "Winter Festival" or something similar so as to not offend anyone. There are no Christmas trees, Santa Clauses, Christmas carols etc allowed. No gift exchanges. That was one of the best parts of the Christmas parties I remember having, the Secret Santas. It will be interesting to see what they are doing by the time DD gets to be in grade school.

Comment

In a government funded institution you have to play to the lowest denominator. Meaning, there cannot be any hint of a state-sponsored religion of any kind. Halloween has actually historically been a religious holiday which has evolved through the years. Yes, it is also primarily a cultural holiday - but so is Christmas and Easter with their highly secularized jolly St. Nick and Easter bunny. The fact is that any holiday that even hints of a religious tradition has got to go in order to avoid even a hint of state-sponsored religious institution.

I'm actually surprised that Thanksgiving hasn't been done away with yet - after all who exactly is everyone thanking? The answer will be different for some people, but the bottom line is that it will be a religious entity of one type or another.

Jennifer
                Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                With fingernails that shine like justice
                And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

That is so ridiculous. I hate having to walk on eggshells to protect the delicate sensibilities of a few.

I fondly remember the Halloween festivities at school when I was a kid. And I was always a princess or some silly thing. How scary is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Rapunzel
                    Meaning, there cannot be any hint of a state-sponsored religion of any kind.
                    Well, I do agree with that. One of my big issues is the separation of church and state. But bobbing for apples was so FUN!!!

Comment

I agree that school/religion should not mix..halloween, though, as celebrated in recent years has no relationship to any pagan beginnings....it evolved into a fun 'trick-or-treat' day with no cultural or religious (or non-religious) undertones. I have never considered halloween to be anything other than a day to dress up in costumes and bob for apples...that's it....maybe we just need to redefine halloween so that children can enjoy having fun.

I actually agree wtih taking christmas parties out of schools...for the athiests, jews, muslisms, etc.
                      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I'm not a religious expert or anything, but isn't All Saint's Day the religious equivalent of Halloween? This year they happen to fall on the same day--I'm assuming Halloween might have evolved from All Saint's Day but the latter is still recognized in the church (at least it is in our church). I was also under the impression that the reason people were steering clear of Halloween was because they felt it was too paganistic (is that even a word?) rather than because it stemmed from a religious holiday.
                        Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

The Halloween thing is a little over the top, in my opinion. It does stem from pagan harvest celebrations, was co-opted by the monks as a way to convert the pagans (as many of the holidays we currently celebrate are- Christmas being a HUGE example!), and is celebrated in a variety of ways in a number of religions.

All Saint's Day usually the day after Halloween, I believe. In Mexico and parts of the south it's also the Day of the Dead which is a celebration of loved ones who have died. It's a pretty big deal in San Antonio.

Now, having gone to school with lots of kids with lots of different religions, I have no problem with doing away with Christmas and Easter celebrations in the schools, and instead celebrating Winter and Spring. Those seasons are just as worthy of a celebration anyway!

Jenn

Comment

I would rather celebrate them ALL, because it is part of our collective heritage. As a music teacher, it was so hard to leave out all of the wonderful Christmas music simply because it was "Christmas" music. If those of us with a christian background are to be sensitive and learn about other religious traditions, (which I am all for, btw) then why can't there still be a smattering of our traditions, as well?

As for the parties.....at our school, the 4K through 2nd grade dressed up --non-scary costumes only. Everyone had a party. I am glad we did!

Sally
                            Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

No Halloween in DS's school, but the elementary kids dressed up as a historical figure and presented a report on that individual. now that is a clever way to appease everyone.

Kelly
                              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                              X