Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Weird "rash"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird "rash"

Just wondering if anybody's experienced this....Keelin has tiny (<1 cm diameter) red dots...vesicular but not "bursting". They are in strange places, with no real consistency. She has a group of them near her achilles area on one foot, then one random one on one toe. There are also some around her inner thighs/back of thighs and buttocks, but not really the "diaper area". She has maybe three or four on each knee. I touch them and push on them and she doesn't seem bothered. She's had no fever, and she hasn't seemed unusually fussy. She has nothing on the soles of her feet or the palms of her hands (generally characteristic of hand foot mouth) I think we changed detergents, but wouldn't that be a more generalized reaction? Again, these dots don't seem itchy at all...she is still sleeping at night just fine.

Not only am I a worry wart, but I'm trying to get to the bottom of it before tomorrow...I have to go to work, she to daycare, and DH is out of town for a week If I don't figure it out, I'm hesistant to take her because inevitably I'll get a phone call saying I need to pick her up, even if she's not feverish or fussy Understandable so as not to infect other kids, but hard on everybody. Thanks in advance for any input. Should I call the ped on a Sunday?

Marla,

I would say go to the pediatrician if you are really concerned....It may just be a viral rash (listen to the dr's wife diagnose illness online ) Since she doesn't have a fever and has no spots on her hands/feet that is a good sign..have you checked her throat? When Thomas got hfm disease it started on the back of his throat....and the lesions weren't little bumps..they were like huge blisters that were painful.

It could be an allergic reaction to the soap change.

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Thanks, Kris....unfortunately, I just gave her a bath, and lo and behold...the little bumps are starting to show elsewhere....including a couple on the sole of her foot and one on the palm of her hand. Looks like it's hfm...thank goodness it seems to be mild (as far as not really bothering her much...she seems a little tired, that's all). My understanding from looking on the web is that it's not contagious once the temp (if they ever had one) is gone. Unless she's miserable overnight, I think I'll go to work. :|

Comment

ugh..see..it's a good thing you didn't take me too seriously! I hope she won't be too uncomfortable...definitely take her in!!

kris
        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Marla, how is Keelin doing?

Comment

Thanks for asking She is ok, but we actually went to the doc this am because she hasn't been sleeping well at all, plus she has new blisters, poor baby Her ped confirmed the hfm diagnosis and just said to wait it out...oh, and her right eardrum is bulging, but not infected. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it is..... Although I naturally hate it when she's sick, it makes me happy to be able to stay at home with her and give her extra TLC. Plus, we both take extra naps! Thanks again for asking.

Comment

Thanks for asking She is ok, but we actually went to the doc this am because she hasn't been sleeping well at all, plus she has new blisters, poor baby Her ped confirmed the hfm diagnosis and just said to wait it out...oh, and her right eardrum is bulging, but not infected. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it is..... Although I naturally hate it when she's sick, it makes me happy to be able to stay at home with her and give her extra TLC. Plus, we both take extra naps! Thanks again for asking.

Comment

Poor baby! I hope it clears up soon.
                Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

We just dealt with something that sounds VERY similar and our pediatrition said it was either viral, or it was some type of bed bug or flea (we have dogs). I ruled out the later two and so we just thought it was something viral. They eventually became itchy so I just treated it with some spray (over the counter) and they eventually went away.

It was weird though and my daughter never had a fever either.
                  Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Working...
                  X