Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Baby Gift Protocol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby Gift Protocol

Most people gave a gift for my older daughter when giving us baby gifts.
    So when we give gifts for new babies where the family has 2 older kids, is this still necessary? How old does the older sibling have to be before you can ignore them in the gift giving? Or is it OK to forego it when there's more than one older sibling?
    I can see this getting expensive for larger families...
    Enabler of DW and 5 kids
    Let's go Mets!

Hey Fluff,

This is a toughie. I tend to get a gift for AN older sibling, because I think it is important for them if they are feeling at all displaced by the new baby. When there is more than one older sibling, I try to get a baby gift and a "group" gift for the older ones, like a video/DVD or something they can both/all play with.

I don't think anyone expects a gift for the older sibling(s) but it is sure a nice gesture when it happens.

Sally
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Sally,
      the video is a great idea - I think we'll go with that.
      Enabler of DW and 5 kids
      Let's go Mets!

Comment

Videos also buy frazzled/sleep deprived parents precious minutes to tend to the baby, start a load of laundry, think about what is for dinner, or just close their eyes for a second......but I am guessing that you already knew that.

Sally
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I like the idea of a video too!!!

kris
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by mommax3
            Videos also buy frazzled/sleep deprived parents precious minutes to tend to the baby, start a load of laundry, think about what is for dinner, or just close their eyes for a second
            huh? I thought that's what benadryl was for???
            (just kidding!!!)
            Enabler of DW and 5 kids
            Let's go Mets!

Comment

I agree with Sally, I give a gift to the older child if the new baby is the 2nd child because so many times they are forgotten. I don't feel its necessary when the new baby is number 3+.
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Yeah, we got it more when baby#2 arrived than when baby#3 came. A video is a good idea, we also received coloring books and crayons, which I thought was a nice, inexpensive way to make other siblings feel special.
                Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

We also got gifts for my dd when ds was born. I actually think she got more expensive/elaborate gifts then my son. I briefly remember thinking wow when she got one of those Zapff Creation Dolls. Anyway I would always give a little something to a brother or sister too.

Comment

One of the nicest baby gifts I ever got for Luke was actually an activity kit for the twins. It rides around with us in the van-- it has coloring books, markers, crayons, etc, all in a plastic container with a lid. The idea was that if I had to stop for an emergency nursing or whatever, I'd have something on hand for the twins to use. We've used it at doctor's apps, at the hospital, etc. It's been very helpful! Since Luke is #4, though, I really didn't need any more baby stuff (not that we haven't accumulated lots more of baby stuff...)
                    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Working...
                    X