Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Montessori

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montessori

I hesitate to write this post because in the past talking about different educational pedagogies has turned into passionate debates, but I feel compelled to share a recommendation to explore montessori education for your children. It is working wonders for our child. I didn't even know what montessori meant when we started researching schools, but it is a fantastic method to teach young children. I will let the internet better educate you on what montessori means because I am a relative newbie. In a nutshell, montessori teaches children independence, freedom, and love of self, environment, and others. Does anyone else have experience (good or bad) with this type of education?

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

It is a huge financial commitment, at least for us during the training years. I went to observe my son's classroom today and I was amazed at the respect, freedom, and independence of the children. I have read a lot of negative commentary about boys being trained in traditional educational environments. (Specifically, boys have a difficult time sitting still and focusing for so long that they act out.) In this classroom, kids can walk around, socialize, and yet focus single mindedly on a project. It is a really cool concept. Plus, I love that feels less competitive with the mixed age environment.

I realize that all of this depends on each individual school and the teacher, but it is definitely worth checking out. We lucked out because my son's teacher exudes love and patience. Fortunately, we will have her for two full years.

Kelly

Comment

I did look at one (but only one) Montessori school for my oldest, and felt it wouldn't be the best fit for her. Because I found something else I really liked, I didn't look further.
      A kid (who is now 19 yo!!!) I used to babysit for went to Montessori for preschool and I think it was the best educational experience for him of his entire K-12 schooling. He was a very exuberant, curious, energetic little boy and he was able to channel that into positive activities at the Montessori school. I think it can be a great means (among others) of educating kids.

Comment

At 32, I still have vivid memories of my Montesorri experience. And just a couple years ago, my preschool teacher ran into one of my classmates and asked how I was doing! The amazing thing is, I still keep in touch with my old classmate. That's how we first met. I highly recommend preschools based on this premise.

Comment

Well, we're about a month and a half into the Montessori preschool experience, and I'm quite pleased. It's a brand new school, and it started 2 months later than planned, so most of the parents bailed, leaving us with only a few kids. My daughter has really blossomed there - last year I barely saw her smile in school, but this year she's really out there, jumping and dancing, and participating rather than sitting on the side.
          I think the Montessori experience will greatly depend on the individual school, teacher, and director. Ours is pretty laid back - uses the method to teach, but not so adamant about silence, group time, etc. I just wonder about the reintegration process when she goes back to "regular" school. I'd kind of feel like I'm sending her to prison.
          Enabler of DW and 5 kids
          Let's go Mets!

Comment

Yes, choosing a school can make you spin in circles. We came close to sending DH to a Waldorf school until someone on this website was kind enough to show me several eye opening critiques on the internet of this particular philosophy.

So far, we are thrilled with ds's school and plan to keep him there until we leave Minnesota. I would ask about acreditation and/or recognition by the AMI.
            http://www.montessori-ami.org/
            http://www.montessori-namta.org/NAMTA/index.html

Further, I would observe classrooms in the schools that you truly are interested in and talk to as many people as possible. We spent two years finalizing our decision.

Best of luck,

Kelly

Comment

I am curious about this path too. We are only considering preschools, but my head spins at the idea of making a final decision. I know DH will defer to me for the choice. I like the idea of Montessori, but I do worry about reintegration to regular schools since we will be sending her to public schools once she is kindergarten age.

I am happy with the preschool program where she attends MDO, but I am wondering with all the strong-will and independence of my child if she needs to be channeled into something different. Lord knows she doesn't want to learn from me. I have heard through other people in our community that kids transitioning from Montessori to public schools in our district have had some troubles. I just want someone to tell me what to do!
              Needs

Comment

Montessori is very "in" right now in our area as well. My mom has 25 years as a kindergarten teacher and feels it is a great fit for SOME children but is not helpful for others due to lack of structure.

I don't have an opinion about it as I haven't done the proper research myself yet, however I will share something I found interesting.

I have about 9 elementary teacher friends across the country in various states. I am looking into pre-schools next year for my daughter who will be three by then so I polled my friends about their opinion. The question was: are you in favor, mixed, or opposed to Montessori schools? The results were surprising to me. I received 7 opposed and 2 mixed.

After more discussion with them via email they all said that Montessori doesn't help a child adapt to a traditional school and unless they are going to do Montessori for their entire education, it confuses most children rather than prepare them. Of course that's the short version of our discussion...

I'm not sure what that means but I found it fascinating.
                I am looking into all types of pre-schools for my daughter despite what they said and am enjoying this dialogue.
                Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Working...
                X