Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Getting Older Children to go to bed! The CURE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Older Children to go to bed! The CURE!

Andrew and Amanda were never that great about bedtime....they are so close in age and from the time that Andrew was 3 and Amanda 2, they would lay in bed and talk to each other, squeal, etc. We only had a 2 bedroom townhouse, so I couldn't separate them easily.

Even now (they are in seperate rooms) they chatter through the walls at each other, jump out of bed and bring a note to each other, etc. It drives me batty. It also makes me furious because sometimes they wake up Alesx or the baby. I have told them that I do not mind if they lay in bed quietly and read for a half hour/hour...but the getting up and talking with each other etc is just toooooo much. Sometimes they are up way later than I'm willing to admit here.

So....I decided I had HAD IT...and I found a CURE!

If they don't go to bed, I have a huge list of things to be cleaned when they get home from school. :> My house has never been so clean, my children have never been so good about going to bed! Last night, I overheard my son tell my daughter "just go to bed...I don't want to clean the garage tomorrow"

I sat down thinking "stay up.....I want you to clean the garage tomorrow" :>

Alas...they were asleep by 8.45 I guess I will have to clean it myself.

:floor:

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Kris, that is awesome!! Good for you! <files that one away for future reference!!>

Comment

Re: Getting Older Children to go to bed! The CURE!

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
      Last night, I overheard my son tell my daughter "just go to bed...I don't want to clean the garage tomorrow"

Comment

Sounds like a GREAT plan!

Comment

That's great...and just think, you can use this one for a long time, too. I'm sure you can come up with countless HUGE tasks!!! :>

Comment

I would go to bed... I hated cleaning the garage/basement more than anything growing up...

Comment

OK, I'm probably going to get into trouble for this, but I thought the "cure" would be benadryl.
              Sorry - not very helpful I guess.

Jennifer
              Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
              With fingernails that shine like justice
              And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I worked with a couple (married) with 3 young kids. They had a Thursday night "date night". Once I asked them where they went for date night...he said "We don't necessarily have to go anywhere...it's more like give the kids some Benadryl and send them to bed early!" Our pediatrician didn't even blink when I asked if I might give a little Benadryl for our long plane ride.

Comment

You know I remember doing that same thing with my brother when we were kids. We always tried to sneak back and forth to each other's rooms, and at the time I thought we were really good at it. In reality, I'm sure my mom was just really good at ignoring. I'm sure it drove her nuts too, but it is one of my favorite childhood memories.

Comment

Marla-

I think my brother and I would have been considered Benedryl addicts! and that was back in the day when it was still a prescription medicine. Our pharmacy flavored it cinnamon which still ranks as one of my favorite "tastes"!

We got Benedryl for bugbites, hangnails, headaches, flu, stitches, bad dreams, car rides....you name it!

and if you think I'm flying 36 hours home with a baby/toddler without a little stash of Benedryl.....

Jenn

Comment

LOL. I was number 5 out of 6 kids and we got Benadryl for everything (my Dad was a Pharmacist). I continued the tradition for long car or plane trips.
                      Luanne
                      Luanne
                      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                      X