Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

baby shower question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baby shower question

Ok, I've been invited to a baby shower and on the invitation it says "Diaper & Wipes Party". This is probably a totally lame question , but what does that mean???

My guess is that it means the mother only wants diapers & wipes as gifts because this will be her 5th child so she already has enough baby stuff. Is that totally off-base? I was a little surprised that she is even having a baby shower...I thought they were mostly for 1st time mothers. I just don't know! Help!

I think it would be safe to assume it means the mother is requesting only diapers and/or wipes. I've been to quite a few of these showers, and for the last one I went to, I tried making a 'diaper cake'. It turned out really well, and was easier than I thought.
    You can find directions here:
    http://entertaining.about.com/cs/shower ... cake_2.htm

Comment

Yep- you're supposed to bring diaper and wipes-- which is a way cool gift anyway. You will soon learn that diapers and wipes will wipe you clean of cash. (trying to be funny). I was so excited that my daughter potty trained last month, as our consumption of wipes and diapers will go down by half. Consider- diapers are $30 for the giant box, and for the bulk box of wipes $8-10, and believe me I was even more happy when our son started decreasing his diaper usage. (Man, I haven't gotten way too cheap by living on this resident salary).

I really like the new trend to have baby showers for the 2nd, 3rd, and so on child. Why shouldn't each life celebrated? I wasn't expecting to have a shower thrown for me before our son was born, but a friend threw one and brought up the point that each child's life is precious and should be celebrated. I have to admit it helped a lot seeing we had a daughter. Even if it is her 5th, I bet she will be appreciative for more updated outfits or even just having diapers and wipes. I have seen showers thrown, and instead of clothes or toys- meals were given for the mother to be.

Crystal
      Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

With the diapers and wipes, you could make your own diaper cream, too, and put it all in a cute basket for something different. Don't ask me how to make it, but I've heard of people doing it! Also, there is a website where you can have diaper behinds stamped with whatever you want...the baby's name, a funny saying, whatever. Just type in "personalized diapers" in google and different sites come up. I gave some to a friend when she had her daughter, and they sent one diaper in a special wrap to have as a keepsake. A little pricey, but fun and creative. I suppose you could also buy your own diapers and figure out how to print things on them yourself.

Comment

Is there any chance it is for cloth rather than disposable? We use cloth diapers for our daughter, and homemade wipes ( recipe courtesy of Matt), and the inital investment was quite pricey, so I would have loved a shower of just cloth diapers.
          Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Not to hijack the thread, but about cloth diapers...SueAnne, what do you use over the diaper? What brands do you recommend? I'm thinking of switching over to cloth at 1 year. (long story but has to do with Montessori). Do you wash your own or have a service?

Comment

These are all great ideas! Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if she uses cloth diapers.

Comment

We use mostly fuzzibunz ( fuzzibunz.com) diapers. They are a layer of fleece that goes next to the skin and an outer layer of breathable waterproof fabric. Then in between those two layers you put anything absorbent- we use mostly hemp or microfiber so it is one total piece that resembles a disposable diaper. The pee goes right through the fleece so the skin stays dry. The 'other items' dont stick to the fleece so they knock right into the toilet with no dunking. I wash them myself twice a week. They are no hassle to deal with. I have some other kinds too. I could go off on a tangent- if you are interested PM me.
                Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Working...
                X