Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

cringing as I admit this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cringing as I admit this...

I'm cringing as I admit this, but it is pertinent to this forum and site. On Sunday, DH met our neighbor for a play date between our 5 year old sons. Mind you, this family is our closest friends here in Minnesota. The boys are somewhat competitive and started talking about their toys. This eventually escalated to my ds declaring that "my daddy is a doctor and my mommy is a lawyer" to the other little boy. (Yes, we are talking about 5 year olds here.) DH told our our son "What does that matter?" and told him to cool it. Our neighbor friend is super laid back, but still, DH was embarrassed.

DH told me this and I was MORTIFIED. Sure, what ds said was true. On one hand, ds' statement is akin to a 5 year old's brutal honesty like pointing out someone is fat without fully realizing the social implications. In my heart of hearts, however, I know ds was trying to make himself feel good at the other boy's expense. I talked with DS and explained that his comment was "bragging" and that he was attempting to make himself feel good at someone else's expense. I further explained that this is totally unacceptable behavior and that we don't treat our friends this way.

As an aside, the irony of all of this is that our friends clearly are in much better financial position than we are. (They are nurses with two year degrees).

Has anyone ever come across their little angels pulling this type of crap? Somebody pass the Malox.

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

I've overheard my daughter tell another kid that her daddy was stronger than his daddy (and no offense to my dh but I know the other daddy and he could probably take my dh ), but so far she hasn't used the doctor angle. It'll balance out, though, since from their perspective, mommy doesn't do anything!
    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

It is inherent in all of us to want to come out on top (original sin, anyone?)......we just get more sneaky about it as we get older and aren't as blatant as your little sweetheart! I don't know if my kids have pulled this one for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me! (Not the "mommy is a lawyer" part, obviously! ) Of course, my boys go to school with a bunch of oil heirs and heiresses, so having a doc for a dad is coming down in the world.

I think you handled it just fine, Kelly, and you will probably have to revisit the topic at LEAST once more. Bragging is just something kids do, unfortunately.

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

When I was 5, I had an argument with my best friend about whose mom was fatter Both moms were apalled...and my mom was devastated that I won the argument.

I think that Cade likely didn't understand what he was saying and that neither boy really understands this discussion in the same way that we as parents do.

It sounds like you handled it great.

kris
        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
        X