Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Seventeen magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seventeen magazine

I received a Seventeen magazine in the mail recently, and because I have work to do today, I opted to thumb through it rather than do any work. (Why did I receive a teenage mag? I have no clue!)

Here is an excerpt from a section titled "How I got the guy"

"Choice Seating
    At school, I got this boy's attention by 'accidentally' sitting at his desk so I could talk to a friend. When he came back, I got up and let him sit down, then I just sat on his lap and kept on talking! - Jasmine, 15"

:thud:

Here is another one:

"Fortune-Teller
    When I meet a hot guy for the first time, I ask him to tell me when his birthday is - I'm really into zodiac signs - and then I tell him a little about himself. The sexy, educated side of me shows, and it makes him feel like I'm really interested in him. Guys love the ego boost. - Joni, 18"

You get the picture. Are girls really this forward?! And since when does astrology knowledge consitute being educated?! I am horrified and will be sure to homeschool my daughter and make her wear a chastity belt. Okay, so that is in jest, but really...I am shocked that these young girls are like this. Am I an old fart who isn't with the times already?? Am I overreacting? I really could not believe my eyes.

Re: Seventeen magazine

Originally posted by Dagny
    And since when does astrology knowledge consitute being educated?!
    I was thinking the same thing. Although I guess there are worse icebreakers, although that one's a bit tired. I think you should tell your daughter that parking oneself on a strange guy's lap just looks desperate.

I think both of these are more flirty than slutty, though.
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

well, it IS Seventeen magazine afterall... It's like Cosmo-- how realistic/useful is the stuff you read in there? Other women's magazines have better articles and advice. I personally like Self. Similarly, I'm sure there are other teen magazines that have higher quality content.

Comment

I am with Chris (dagny) on this one. I'm so surprised at the sexual nature of todays teen magazine. I used to get teen magazine and 17 (just a few years ago when I was 17 ) and there were articles about friendship, knowing yourself, fashion, make-up and surviving teen issues... I don't remember the articles about sex etc... Of course, I could just have selective memory...it has been a couple of years since I was a subscriber :>

I worry a lot for my own children...particularly my daughter

kris
        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I don't know.. When my husband was in high school, there were many girls who offered themselves up to him. He'd walk by, and they'd say "What's in those shorts" and other kind of things... He didn't take them up on it (thank goodness b/c I would not want to deal with all those STDs) but I am always a bit scandalized by how forward the girls were. He was at a "medical training summer experience" for pre-med students and one girl offered him a sex arrangement while they were both away from their respective partners... He turned her down, but anyway... Girls are really forward these days... At least some girls are! I think as parents of girls it is beneficial to be aware of what is out there--- I may make it a habit to start buying some of these teen mags every now and then so I know what my daughter's classmates are reading, anyway...
          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Wow, Peggy, could I have your husband's name and cell number? JK...I agree...girls are pretty sexual these days....young girls in particular.

Comment

This has been an interesting thread....I was going to say that I never knew girls were so forward, but then I think back to when I was in high school and how naive and terrbily uneducated I was....a little scary.

Comment

Working...
              X