Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Things every kid should know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things every kid should know

So, this was a topic for conversation that we had on the return flight from Russia-

Beyond the basics- reading, writing, arithmetic, what other things did/do you think it's important for kids to know?

Jenn

OK, I'll start- these were the things we really want Nikolai to know upon adulthood:

1) How to swim. and not doggy paddle, but swim, preferably more than one stroke.

2) To speak another language (a no brainer since English will be his second language- I want to keep him in Russian language classes)

3) to cook: (at the minimum) scrambled eggs, hamburgers, grilled cheese and one really impressive meal to impress a girlfriend...

4) That no matter what time of day or night, if he's in a situation like the guy driving the car is drunk- he should call and no questions will be asked, we will come.

5) Assuming there are cars...how to check the oil (if they have oil), how to change a flat tire (if they have tires that get flats, and how to drive in snow and ice.

OK- so what are other- everyone should know this _______ things?

Jenn

Comment

Basics of money management.

That if something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

How to grow your own food, if needed or desired.
      Enabler of DW and 5 kids
      Let's go Mets!

Comment

All of these are good. I would add:

How to sort/do a load of laundry.
        How to figure out the better buy at the grocery store.
        How to make a bed.
        How to hang up towels in the bathroom.
        How to clean the bathroom.
        How to sweep/vaccum a floor.
        How to flush the toilet after it is used!
        How to dust.
        How to find out something you don't already know.

Larger issues:

You are not the center of the universe.
        Think of how your actions will affect others and be careful of their feelings......put yourself in the other person's shoes.
        Be POLITE and RESPECTFUL.

All stuff we are working on around here on a daily basis. (not always successfully!)

Sally
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

This paper was sent home by ds's school and now hangs prominently on my fridge.

WHAT EVERY CHILD NEEDS FOR GOOD MENTAL HEALTH.
          Anonymous

To grow healthy and strong, children should have good food, plenty of sleep, exercise, and fresh air. Children have emotional needs too. To have perfect health and happy children require....

LOVE
          Every child needs to feel
          ...that his parents love, want, & enjoy him
          ...that he matters very much to someone
          ...that there are people near him who care what happens to him

ACCEPTANCE
          ....that his parents like him for himself, just the way that he is
          ....that they like him all the time, and not only when he acts according to their ideas of the way a child should act
          ...that they always accetp him, even though often they may not approve of the thing he does
          ....they will let him grow and develop in his own way

SECURITY
          ...that his home is a good, safe place he can feel sure about
          ...that his parents will always be on hand, especially in times of crises when he needs them the most
          ....that he belongs to a family or group; that there is a place where he fits in

PROTECTION
          ....that his parents will keep him safe from harm
          ....that they will will help him when he must face strange, unknown, and frightening situations

INDEPENDENCE
          ....that his parents want him to grow up and they encourage him to try new things
          ....that they have confidence in him and in his ability to do things by himiself and for himself

CONTROL
          Every child needs to know
          ...that there are limits to what he is permitted to do and that his parents will hold him to these limits

GUIDANCE
          Every child needs to have
          ....a set of moral standards to live by
          ....a belief in the humanh values: kindness, courage, honesty, generosity, and justice
          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Kelly, that's terrific...Thank YOU...I'm going to print it out!

kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

...but on a less esoteric level, we believe that our kids should know about

Swimming
              Empathy for others and a duty to help the less fortunate
              That their private parts (parts which a swimsuit covers) belong only to them
              We will always be there for them, no matter what
              a foreign language
              Reading
              self-organization, self-discipline, self-control, and self-belief
              their heritage: their extended family and their history
              the basic tenets of our faith
              the ability to entertain his or her self (ditto to what Sally said-the world does not revolve around them)
              people and experiences are far more important than things
              a healthy life style including exercise and food choices

Jenn, I think about your question all the time because I fervantly hope that I am giving my kids what they need to become healthy, functional, well rounded human beings. There is just so much that I want our kids to know about. It can be overwhelming at times.

Kelly
              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

How to use a fire extinguisher.

How to sew on a button.

How to read a map.

Not to mix bleach and ammonia.

The really hoity-toity table manners--even if you don't use them every day, eventually you're going to need them.

How to tie a slip knot.

How to tip.

How to put on pantyhose without running them and/or tie a windsor knot.

How to start a fire.
                Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

There may be some repeats here, but....

1. How to change a flat tire. (My dad made me learn how to do this right after I got my driver's license and it's actually come in handy a few times).
                  2. How to balance a checkbook, pay bills, and understand the perils of ATM and credit cards.
                  3. To make a few meals to sustain oneself and one to good enough to serve to others.
                  4. Sort, wash, fold, iron laundry.
                  5. Understand some basic nutrition concepts (or why Mountain Dew and Red Vines is not a good way to start the day).
                  6. How to have a conversation with someone you don't know or have recently met, including eye contact and shaking hands.
                  7. Delayed gratification (so they can go to med school too! )
                  8. The beauty of compounding interest (that one is for my grandfather).
                  9. Be able to entertain themselves
                  10. How to swim and have one physical activity that they enjoy doing.
                  11. To try their best to be sincerely polite and considerate.
                  12. Common sense -- like Fluffhead said "if it's too good to be true, it probably is."

Comment

These are great. Jenn, the call and no questions asked is very important. We always said that to our girls, and they did call!!! I have to say that the no questions asked part was really hard!!!
                    Luanne
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Most of what my list has already been mentioned. But, here are the things I can think of right now...

How to start and maintain a conversation

Basic car maintenance, my dad taught me the flat tire/oil change stuff when I got my license too.

Basic around-the-house maintenance and up-keep

To pay attention to surroundings, both for safety and to gain some sense of direction (I have NONE)

How to be a team player

How to express themselves

How to find out things they don't know

Yes Please! Some idea about Money management! (DH has NONE)

Comment

Working...
                      X