Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Boys and Dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boys and Dance

My ten year old son has decided he wants to join the area dance team.....It's a boys team called 'hip hop boys' .... With all of the social issues that he has had I'm just wondering if it is a good idea? He has watched Amanda's two danceline performances this year and thought that they were so awesome. Amanda brought home a paper wed. that talked about the new danceteam for boys and he said as long as he didn't have to wear a tutu he wanted to do it. I guess I should be glad he doesn't want to wear a tutu :>

Would you guys encourage this or funnel the interest in a diff. direction? Men, feel free te tell me I'm biased and am stereotyping. :!
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

As the parent of two daughters.....I say let him do it.
    I think that if he's interested in it, he should do it and it might be a nice outside of school outlet for him. I dunno, though, should you mention to him that some boys might think that isn't "cool" and might give him a hard time? Just so he is prepared?

My DH took dance classes in early elementary. Ballet, I believe. Of course, there is a family dynamic story behind it -- his mom wanted to enroll them in an activity they would both like, his sister wanted to take dance classes, it was easier to have them both there (only 1.5 yrs apart), and his mom pats herself on the back for raising him doing "girl activities". (hmmm....think his sister was spoiled? wonder if that caused her any ill effects later?).

Anyway....DH is none the worse for it today. And he can go through the 5 foot positions with Bryn. :>

Comment

Kris,

On one hand, I would love to be p.c. and say go for it, but sadly our society isn't that evolved. Too bad you all don't live in Germany. I think that this is an especially hard one because Andrew has struggled so much. On the other hand, life has lots of challenges and we want to encourage our children to turn a blind eye to peer pressure, be themselves, follow their dreams, and explore new things. In all honesty, I would sign him up because he has expressed an interest. Who knows, he could be then next Baryshinkov (sp?). But I would also be right there to dispense as much self-esteem reinforcement as possible (which I know that you already do).

Remember that scene in Parenthood, where the father feels like the whole world is spinning as if he were on a roller coaster as he watches his kid mess up the school play. Buckle up, my friend. Parenthood ain't for the faint of heart. Remember, you can always send Andrew down to Saint Paul and auntie Kelly will enroll him in DS's school. (Of course Thomas would have to come to terms with the fact that a surgeon (gasp!) would be a major influence in his life).

Kelly
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Well, it is a BOYS dance team, right? It's not like he is going to be the only boy amongst a slew of girls. I would say let him sign up. And to me, it shows that you and Thomas are doing a great job of affirming him, since he has the confidence to want to give this a try. Enjoy it! If my boys were interested, I would sign them up!

Sally
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I say if he wants to do it, sign him up! I used to work in a child development center and we had a boy who loved to play with dolls and play "dress up". When the father found out, he flew off the handle. But, we firmly believed, as research shows, that these activities would only make him into a more sensitive and caring man later on in life. Will your son be teased by other kids...maybe. But I feel that if you tell him he can't take the class because dance is for girls, he might become judgmental later on of other boys who take dance.

Comment

Sounds like fun, do they take 32yr old "boys"??

There are many aspects of dance that help in tremendous ways for all athletics. When I was playing college ball they had a dance instructor come in and teach us dance moves. There have also been several pro athletes taking ballet as well. It improves flexibility and muscle strength in a completely different way.

Comment

I also say let him do it. I took dance classes for a lot of years and though there were many more girls than boys, boys did sign up. And like someone else said, it sounds like its an all boys group, which would probably be better for him than co-ed. It sounds like fun, and (as DH would say) a good chance to meet people you have a common interest with.

Comment

Also, if it's a hip hop class they'll probably be dancing more like Usher than Baryshnikov.
                Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Working...
                X