Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

SuperNanny TV Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperNanny TV Show

So I've been watching this new show on Monday nights, but I am the naive non-parent at this point in my life. Any parents watching this? Are Jo Frost's strategies absolutely baloney or does she have some good ideas? I'm just fascinated how difficult some familes have it! I grew up babysitting a lot and I never had similar issues with kids, so I'm just assuming these familes are extreme cases.

No, I haven't seen it, but the catchphrase "You've been very naughty" in a haughty English accent as seen in the promos regularly is bandied about in in our household. (We don't say this to the children...but between the adults because it just sounds so...perv-y. )

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I actually watched this show last night. I'm far from perfect, but these shows make me feel a little better about my own parenting. Of the 3 shows I have seen (there is Nanny 911 on another network) it all boiled down to the parents being inconsistent, not giving any real consequences to bad behavior, and not presenting a united front between each other. I think the techniques they suggest are good--they give the parents a schedule, and guidelines for time-outs, etc. On the show it seemed pretty effective, but I really wonder how many parents continue to apply what they learned after the cameras are gone. I do think that since there seems to be an entire generation of over-indulged brats running around out there, this show could be useful in getting some families on the right track.
      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Originally posted by kmbsjbcgb
        No, I haven't seen it, but the catchphrase "You've been very naughty" in a haughty English accent as seen in the promos regularly is bandied about in in our household. (We don't say this to the children...but between the adults because it just sounds so...perv-y. )

Kelly

Comment

I do think Super Nanny might get monotonous though. I think I've watched two or three episodes, and it's seems Jo has the same recipe regardless of the family:

1) strict daily routine
          2) a designated "naughty area" with a warning first, then punishment, then request for an apology
          3) no shouting in the house
          4) direct, firm tone when disciplining to your child; positive reinforcement when child has done something correct

But I do find this show more entertaining than Wife Swap. I loathe that show!

Comment

I've seen the show three times and think her solutions to problems make sense but I think they obviously pick families who are having SERIOUS issues!

Parenting is definitely the hardest job I have ever had but I am constantly shocked how some couples do anything the child wants and then are surprised when the "bratty" behavior starts and never really ends. I am NO expert but good grief...use some logic.

The Super Nanny is funny and she has some practical solutions to annoying problems. I give it a thumbs up!
            Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

This show sounds interesting...what is the theme of it? Is it a nanny coming in to correct parent's mistakes?

kris
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
              X