Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Big Baby!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Baby!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/ ... index.html

SAO PAULO, Brazil (AP) -- A woman in northeastern Brazil has given birth to what one doctor called a "giant baby," a boy weighing 16.7 pounds (7.57 kg).

Francisca Ramos dos Santos, 38, gave birth to the healthy boy named Ademilton on Tuesday at a hospital in Salvador, 900 miles (1,450 km) northeast of Sao Paulo.

He was the largest baby born at the Albert Sabin Maternity Hospital in its 12-year history, the hospital said.

"Obviously the baby was born by Caesarean section," hospital director Rita Leal said. "Both mother and baby are doing just fine."

Ademilton "could truly be considered a giant baby, for he was born weighing what a six-month-old-baby normally weighs," pediatrician Luiz Sena Azul told the Correio da Bahia newspaper.

Santos has four other children -- ages 9, 12, 14, and 15 -- who were born weighing between 7.7 pounds (3.5 kg) and 11 pounds (5 kg).

"She knew Ademilton would be a big baby, but not this big" Leal said. "She, her husband and the hospital staff were caught by surprise."

The average weight for newborns in Brazil is 7.7 pounds (3.5 kg) for boys and 6.6 pounds (3 kg) for girls.

"Obviously the baby was born by Caesarean section,"
    Er...ya think?! :thud: I cannot even wrap my mind around carrying such a large child, let alone delivering it vaginally. Though I guess carrying this boy would be akin to twins or triplets?

Wow, someone had uncontrolled gestational diabetes.

This just boggles my mind.

Yeah, no doubt! My husband and I were noticing how lethargic the poor kid seemed while lying there, too....could it be that his blood sugar is going up and down like friggin' roller coaster? Sounds like somebody didn't heed her doctor's advice to watch her pregnancy diet

P.S. 17# is crazy too, when I remember that my 15 month old just broke 20#!!!

Comment

About this time, I wouldn't mind blaiming 16 pounds of my weight gain on the baby itself ... Instead, I think I have to blame the whole "eat anything and everything in site when not sick" mentality that I have had for the past 9 months for the added FORTY FIVE pounds . The birthing of that size does NOT sound fun! That was more than my twins put together!! Crazy story!!

Jen B.

Comment

Check out the rolls on his mid-shin. Wow!!!

Comment

I wonder what ill effects this child might suffer from this?? I once read something about babies that big having a great risk of respiratory distress, etc....something about pregnancy and diabetes? (forgive me...it's late and I"m supposed to be preparing for class but am dying to catch up with everyone here...)

In any case...WOW1

kris
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Oh my goodness! I couldn't even imagine a newborn being that big! I wonder if the mother had any prenatal care or if there would have been anything they could do to keep the baby from getting that big.

Comment

I was also wondering if gestational diabetes (which I am prone to developing) may have played a part in such a gargantuan child.

My twins were delivered five weeks early, but, even then their combined weight was only 10lbs 2oz. I think we would have topped out at about 14lbs combined weight if I had gone full-term. And, with twins they do come out one at a time so vaginal delivery is possible - I cannot fathom delivering one child as big as two full-term infants! No wonder a c-section was used!

Jennifer
              Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
              With fingernails that shine like justice
              And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Working...
              X