Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Make me proud moments...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make me proud moments...

Teacher conferences tonight:

Teacher: Amanda is doing quite well, but she does march to her own drummer...you know, she likes to do things her own way...actually, she is very nice, but I guess what I'm really tryin to say is that she is very ummmm challenging. You see (the teacher's face get a shade redder) she likes to do things like hold up signs in class while I'm teaching that say "I'M NOT LISTENING"

:!

~sigh

Wasn't it supposed to get easier as they get older????? I guess it's true: little children/little problems and big children/big problems.

Someone in our house is grounded for 2 weeks...any guesses? :>
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Wow...she's got balls!!! I never in a million years would have dared to do that.

What did Amanda have to say about that?

Comment

The shame of it all

This is what she is like at home too most of the time. The thing is, the teacher said lots of good things about her and she is a sweet, caring girl (most of the time...) But she fits that 'when she is good she is very good and when she is bad she is awful' definition. If I told you guys about the recent altercation she had with her teacher and the ensuing cartoons she drew on her spelling test...you'd take away my license to be a mommy.

Now...where did I put that application for mom of the year???

kris

Comment

Oh dear, Kris.

May she use her powers for good.

How did the other conferences go?

Comment

Originally posted by nmh
          Oh dear, Kris.

That is hysterical! I told her it's ok to be her own person but she has to do it within the confines of the school rules and social norms.

Andrew's conference....academically he's good...social issues have been huge and because of the teasing we really just talked about how to help him with the social stuff! His teacher is awesome and has really been working hard to head off the bullying, but it has really affected his self-esteem. Most recently he told me that he had to give up his love for Harry Potter and the books/movies because the kids tease him so much. He already threw out his crayon collection because the kids teased him about it. The problem is that he gets so involved in talking about it and then he just perseverates on topics...I have no idea where he gets this obsessing from

kris

Comment

Originally posted by nmh
            Diet Coke geyser!

Comment

Wow, she sounds like a pistol!
              Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Poor Andrew! He's basically giving up the things he loves because of some anti-social peers? That's awful....

Your daughter...well, my youngest daughter seems to have the exact same personality. I keep telling myself that, while she's kind of obnoxious as a child, she's got the makings of a GREAT adult! Sometimes rules should be broken in my opinion and I'd have to say that if a teacher told me my child was holding up signs like that I'd probably laugh and later ask my child if the teacher and class are really that boring.

Jennifer
                Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                With fingernails that shine like justice
                And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

That's an interesting perspective, Jennifer,and one I wish I had thought of last night. I personalized the whole thing instead of stepping back and listenting to her. Dang....will I ever get this parenting thing right? She can just be soooo sassy and I was mortified. The teacher said it didn't bother him but that Amanda's strong-willed personality would eventually be a big problem for her...the teachers in grade 4 are much less laid back. Her teacher this year is the most popular elementary school teacher..He is laid back, funny and really really great with the kids.

RE: Andrew...We are in a HUGE quandry. His teacher has really worked hard to get this under control, but it isn't possible to totally stop teasing. He mentioned to me that Andrew reads with great expression/enthusiasm and when he asks him to read a passage in class the other kids 'snicker' at him. He is just different....a little...weird...and that's ok. Children have to have tolerance though. For us, the worst part is coming. Because of his jaw problems he is getting retainers (the molds are being made on Tuesday) and is supposed to wear a headgear with these. I am assuming that he has to wear them 24/7 because I did for the first year....but there is NO WAY we can send him to school with the headgear. I talked to the teacher about it and he said "NO WAY!" So we're basically going to not have him wear it during school for the rest of this year but are seriously considering homeschooling him next year.....which means also homeschooling Amanda. Alex will probably go to the german school in the twin cities.

Kids are just so mean...I don't understand.

Comment

Well, if you guys make that decision, pm or call me and I can answer questions....

Honestly, Amanda is sounding sooooo like Sophia!

Jennifer
                    Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                    With fingernails that shine like justice
                    And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

My first thought when you mentioned headgear was homeschooling as well. Is it definite that he will wear it, or just a possibility? Poor kid--those are such difficult years for a kid and it is sad that he is stifling some of his interests so as not to be teased.
                      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Kris,

Oh, God, my heart goes out to Andrew. Have I ever mentioned that People Suck. He is so lucky to have you to help him navigate these scary waters. Maybe Andrew is getting his share of struggling in to his childhood so that adulthood will be stress free? Here's hopin anyway.

Amanda cracks me up. Talk about girl power. Hey, at least you know she ain't ever gonna be somebody's bitch.

Now I will quitely go back to struggling with my 5 y.o. and infant problems. Yikes. Any parents of teenagers want to give us a glimmer of what is to come?

Kelly
                        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Re: Make me proud moments...

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
                          she likes to do things like hold up signs in class while I'm teaching that say "I'M NOT LISTENING"

:!
                          That is great. I honestly wish DD will have the guts to do something like that when she is older. I sure don't.

Poor Andrew, my heart goes out to him. Its so sad he's not doing what he is interested in because of these kids. What a bunch of jerks!! Maybe these jaw problems are a blessing in disguise, if you do end up home schooling.

Poor kid.

Comment

Kris-

Is there anyway you can afford to send him to a private school with smaller classrooms? Home schooling might make you nuts. (it would make me nuts...)

Jenn

Comment

Wow, Kris....what a handful in every respect. The first thing that struck me about the headgear was, what about just wearing it every night to bed? I had a friend in junior high who had to wear one and that's what she did.

Hang in there

Comment

Working...
                              X