Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Postpartum blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postpartum blues

Anyone have any good suggestions on beating the "baby blues"? I cry all the time. Because the filter on the fish tank is broken, because hubby has to go to work/school, because I seem to have lost some control over my bladder. All sorts of stupid reasons. I don't need meds just some cheer up suggestions.
    Thanks,

I think you should mention how you are feeling to your OB. I tend to get PPD, but mine isn't right after childbirth. I was put on meds which seem to be helping tremendously, in addition to seeing a
    SW who specializes in PPD. Aside from that, are you able to get any time for yourself? Getting time alone without the kids can help tremendously!
    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I suffered from PPD with my second child. It started actually a little before she was born and then when she was about 5 weeks old it just took over. I cried when things went wrong or things went right...I felt miserable and eventuallly after suffering alone with this for months while my hubby was an intern I really saw no point in living anymore. It became very frightening. I did end up taking something for a short time until things got under control even though I was hesitant so it may be an option for you.

If not....consider forcing yourself out of the house every day....go walk in the mall, go to the park (if possible with the weather), go to the McDonald's/Burger King play area....surround yourself with other moms and try and start up some basic conversations with them. It really helped me and it still helps me when I'm feeling down! Can you enroll in a mommy and me class, a college course, a scrapbooking club, book club?

Keep in mind that PPD is not a personal weakness. There has been a lot of research in the last 10 years about the role of the many biological changes during pregnancy and the year following pregnancy and the onset of PPD.

kris
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

http://www.depressionafterdelivery.com/Home.asp
        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

My answer was going to be the same as Kris's: Get out of the house every day - EVERY day. Even if it's to take a walk around the neighborhood with the baby in a stroller or go to the mall and window shop - just do it! It can feel like torture but it will 1)get you out of bed, 2)make you get dressed, and 3)possibly force you into contact with other people (just the possibility of that can change your mood).

Other than that, if you have friends in your area who you feel close to, let them know you aren't doing so hot and ask them if you could set up some "dates" every few days to just get together for lunch or fold laundry together or something - ANYTHING.

Contact with other people and forcing yourself to go about your daily routine (ie getting out of bed, taking a shower, getting dressed, and generally taking care of yourself) are the best advice I can give in getting through mild PPD.

Just know you aren't alone - many of us have experienced this and made it through. Don't be afraid to ask for help from family and friends and definitely seek out professional help if it's been a couple of months and things just aren't getting better or if your thoughts are becoming alarming to you in any way.

Jennifer
          Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
          With fingernails that shine like justice
          And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

PPD hit with my DD#2 after about 5 weeks. I felt like I hit the wall after feeling wonderful for the first month. I recommend talking to your OB and trying to stay active like others mentioned. Please vent here any time.

Jennifer
            Needs

Comment

My baby is three weeks old today and I am much happier when I get out of the house. Even if I end up being more tired I somehow feel better. Too many days in and I start to cry and get emotional. The weather's been great here and I've been enjoying getting the two of us out!

Comment

Working...
              X