Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Can I be perfectly annoying here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I be perfectly annoying here?

Yes, this will come off as the stupid mom post, but I can't help it..it has been eating me alive..I know I'm being silly, childish...even petty...but since you all know that this is how I am anyway I feel safe posting here.

Andrew entered an inventor's competition this year with a group of about 15 4th graders. He was very excited and decided to invent what he called the 'thumb saver'. This is a plastic device that you literally slide over your knife before putting it in the dishwasher. It covers the blade and tip and has holes drilled in it on both sides to allow the water to get in and wash the knife. He was inspired to invent this because Aidan is often getting in the dishwasher and grabbing the sharp knives. I honestly thought it was genius...and...it worked.

Yes, I'm the mom so of course I thought it was genius...but...it was great! He did a really good job on his log book and we took pictures of the whole process including him making the thumb saver. The day of the presentation to the judges, he was sick with a head cold, but I sent him to school anyway...I"m sure his being sick and having toilet paper sticking out of his nose (his preferred method to stop a runny nose ) didn't do much for the judges, but it doesn't take away from how great it all was.

After dropping him off at school I prayed "God, if you are out there..PLLLLEEEAAAAASE let him get one of the superior prizes....he just needs something positive....please!" Of course, the judges picked about 1/2 of the inventions as 'Superior' and his didn't win. I was disappointed for him, but I figured that the other inventions must have been great too and it had been a tough decision. Then at parent teacher conferences, I went and looked at all of the posters still up. Andrew's was one of the neatest posters btw. The thing is...the ones that won were just...not that good...at all! One girl won for improving on the shower caddy by adding a place to put your toothbrush. I kid you not! Her prototype (they all had to make them) was made of wood and was obviously drilled by an adult. OK...so the next one that won was an improved hocky stick...and the next one was a tractor that shoots out water and at the same time smooths out the water to make better ice for the home hockey arena...and the next one was a skateboard holder for the garage (interesting). One of the things that the inventions were supposed to be really judged on was the benefit of the invention to society...so there I was dumbfounded thinking...safety for children so they don't get poked with knives in the dishwasher or a hockey puck with an extra piece of wood on it to make it 'stronger'.

I have been really livid about this for days...I know I'm being childish...I know I'm being petty...Andrew isn't even really upset about this anymore....I just really am. He put so much into this and his poster, logbook and prototype were really awesome..and they were his own work.

Thanks for letting me complain.

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

That's a bummer that he didn't win! Sounds like this would have been a great confidence-booster for him. I'm glad to hear he isn't totally deflated by not winning a prize, and I'm sure it's hard as his mother not to feel upset, especially if the other inventions didn't really knock your socks off. For what it's worth, I think his thumb saver sounds like a neat idea!
    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I say you get a patent application for that boy! Seriously, if you let him help you do a patent search it might be a bit comforting for him to either see that some other wonderful genius came up with a similar idea *just* before he did OR maybe he's hit a niche and could apply for a patent!

Jennifer
      Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
      With fingernails that shine like justice
      And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Great idea Jennifer.
        Luanne
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Kris,

You have every right to be proud of Andrew. He really came up with a great idea! And I think he should have gotten extra credit for presenting his project while being sick. It sounds like the judges weren't really judging on originality. An improved hockey stick?? Boy, that invention will really be a benefit to society!

Comment

Oh, that really sucks Kris. I don't think you're being annoying or childish at all, I think you're being a normal mother who just wants to see her kid succeed and get the kudos he deserves for what really sounds like a great invention! I'm sorry that he didn't win, I also think the patent idea is a good one though.
            ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
            -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Kris,

I don't think you are being annoying at all. I fail to see why they had to turn the thing into a contest at all. At least Andrew is taking it in stride. I think that Rapunzel's idea of having him apply for a patent is a great one!

Sally
              Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Kris,

One thing I've learned is that life just isn't fair sometimes, but looks like you're blessed with a great son that isn't going to let this get him down. What about you getting him a little gift to reward him for all his hard work and creativeness? Nothing wrong with that, right? Even a special ice cream sundae would make his day, I'll bet. Don't you worry, he'll shine again and again down the road. He sounds like a very smart kid!

Comment

Not stupid, annoying or petty. That is a great invention and it's too bad that the judges didn't see that. I think it's a great idea - and you should definitely look into patenting it.

I don't get how a toothbrush holder in a shower caddy or a new hockey stick benefits society. I've never even thought to brush my teeth in the shower. One would think that preventing injury to small children would be a worthy contribution.

Comment

Originally posted by lunatic
                    Do people really brush their teeth in the shower?!
                    You're not supposed to because it's not environmentally sound. If it supposedly wastes 8 gallons of water to leave the faucet running while you brush your teeth, I hate to think how much is wasted leaving the shower run.
                    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
                      Originally posted by lunatic
                      Do people really brush their teeth in the shower?!
                      You're not supposed to because it's not environmentally sound. If it supposedly wastes 8 gallons of water to leave the faucet running while you brush your teeth, I hate to think how much is wasted leaving the shower run.
                      Really??? I brush my teeth in the shower sometimes...maybe I'll stop!
                      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I'm sending the water police to your house immediately.

Actually FH brushes in the shower all the time despite my objections. I don't yet have him trained to follow my wishes to the letter 24/7. But that won't take long once we're married, right? Heh.
                        Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                        Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                        Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Maybe I'll brush my teeth WHILE shaving my legs or something like that so I'll actually be conserving water! If only I had a jacuzzi tub, then all my problems (emotional and environmental) would be solved... :@
                          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I don't think it is petty that you are upset, I think I would be too. It is hard to see the ideas, thoughts, and values of someone we love rejected. I know this will probably sound corny and cliche, but I whenever someone tells me of an idea for something great that no one else thinks is great, I always think of the Fed Ex guy. When the founder of Fed Ex was an MBA student at Harvard, he was assigned a project to come up with a innovative business idea. He obviously came up with Federal Express- overnight shipping for businesses. His economics prof gave him an F, and said it would never work- the rest is history. I love that story.

Comment

BTW, the above post was from me, Grasshopper. I haven't posted enough to get the hang of this yet.
                              P.S.: I'm glad that your son didn't dwell on it too much- he sounds like a trooper!

Comment

Working...
                              X