Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Highly depressing news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Jenn-

Yeah, we're concerned about attachment disorder. I was more concerned before I met him and watched him have a total stranger-anxiety realted meltdown on day one. He's formed what appear to be pretty healthy attachments to this pair of 800 year old Babushkas (who are also twins) who work in his room. The most recent set of pictures also shows the Orphanage Director cuddling with him, and he seems very relaxed in her arms. (made me jealous!)

There are some very specific things we plan on doing once we get him home though, based on what we've read and researched. One is to put him back on the bottle for all feedings, but expecially those first thing in the morning and right before bed. Several of the books have recommended using a baby Bjorn or other carrier whenever possible so that he learns to relax and be a baby. They also recommend that one parent be at home full time for a minimum of three months to facilitate the adjustment. The downside of him having formed attachments to the people at the orphanage is that he will also be mourning his former life and missing the ladies. He's not going to know that he's in a better place- he won't even understand what we're saying. The research says to kind of take them back to early infancy with how you treat them so they can experience total dependence and resultant unconditional support and love. Since he spent his first 2 months in a Russian NICU- I think that's exactly the advice we will follow.

Luckily most kids are pretty resilient. I have heard of some nightmarish AD problems, usually with older kids and the Ukraine program was suspended after it dawned on people that the only kids who were being adopted turned out to have serious mental health issues.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that we'll get there sometime in April.

Jenn

Comment

Uh, isn't the point of adopting a child to get them OUT of the system in as short a period as possible?

So sorry you are going through this.

This may sound weird, but you might consider feeding him with as much skin to skin contact as you can get. I imagine it helps with bonding and comforting. Anyway, that is what they told my neice who was formula feeding her preemie to do. He was born in October and will be 2 months, in gestational age, at the end of February. Also, your sleeping with his sheets and blankets before putting them on his crib is supposed to help with adjusting to new surroundings too.

Tracy

Comment

I know I've mentioned this before, but a friend of mine adopted 5 kids ranging in age from 3 to 10 from Russia and 6 months to 1.5 years later, they are all doing fantastic. The kids are picking up the language and are very bonded to their new mom and dad (actually they are all a bit clingy which is probably due to being uprooted from everything they knew, but at least they have formed a strong attachment to their new parents)--it is really amazing to see. I don't have any firsthand knowledge of the challenges that go along with international adoption, but it sounds like you are doing everything right as far as educating yourselves as the best way to help your new little guy adjust.
        Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Jenn,

First, I'm sorry about the delay. One remote, tiny sliver of positive thinking: summer maternity leave?

O.K. I'm trying here. RE: attachment disorder. Not to diminish all of our fear as parents, but we get the kids we are meant to be with. Lots of kids who are conceived biologically come out with their own set of issues. As much as we would like to control the fates, sometimes we step up to the table and take our chances. I realize that I'm preaching to the choir here with your and Rick's backgrounds. Anyway, Nikolai is a lucky little guy.

Kelly
          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I agree with Kelly...with your background, your love, and all of the research you have done, Nikolai is so lucky to have you guys as his parents!!

Comment

Jenn, I see that Nikolai is coming off the registry in 2 weeks. What does this mean for you guys? Are you able to pin down a specific court date yet?

Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking about you and hope that your little boy can come home soon!

Comment

I have been wondering the same thing. Any updates?

Sally
                Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Whole lotta nuthin' as far as we know.

We're redoing the criminal histories, redoing our fingerprints, redoing the medicals (for the third time- and it requires 8 different physician signatures. Too bad none of you guys are local- we could 'pass the medicals' over food and drink!)

We have friends whose daughter-to-be came off the waiting list yesterday so hopefully they'll hear something this week. 3/8 is a national holiday in Russia (International Women's Day- I think we should lobby for it here!) so our translator Dina told us they'll be at court first thing on the 9th for our friends. (and she emailed me and asked for us to bring Roach Motels and a splint...OK- whatever it takes!)

Thanks for thinking good thoughts!

Jenn

PS- Rick's step-dad died, he had his mock neuro boards, I quit my job, etc., etc, - We're going to the beach for a week to completely decompress. We leave today after we do the adoption stuff! Whew.

Comment

- We're going to the beach for a week to completely decompress. We leave today after we do the adoption stuff! Whew.
                    Good. You guys need this time. Enjoy it. Give Rick our sympathies about his step-dad. Keep us posted about Nikolai once you get back.

Sally
                    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Sorry to hear about your DH's stepdad....enjoy your time away! Definitely keep us posted.

Comment

So sorry to hear about your dh's stepdad...
                        I hope you have a relaxing vacation!
                        I"ll keep my fingers crossed that things progress quickly with the adoption!!
                        Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

bumped up

Comment

Working...
                          X