Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The #1 cause of abdominal pain in children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The #1 cause of abdominal pain in children

Today when Alex got home from kindergarten he couldn't even get out of the van himself. I had to carry him to the sofa. He was writhing in pain and moaning, sobbing and crying. He accused me of breaking his ribs when I put on his car seat. After about 20 minutes I called the pediatrician. That's a whole other story because they told me that they were 'booked' today and that I'd have to look on the back of my insurance card and call my provider to find out where I could go. This is the end of the road with this practice...time for a new ped.

But anyway, I took him to the ER where he sobbed and cried desperately when his abdomen was touched. He couldn't walk to the bathroom or to be x-rayed...he had to be carried or put in a wheelchair. He was miserable...I was terrified.

Diagnosis?

CONSTIPATION

Did you know that constipation is the #1 cause of abdominal pain in young children??????

~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Sounds like quite the adventure! Didn't he have another ER requiring injury recently? When it rains it pours.

I'm glad he is ok.

Comment

Ouch. Well.....it IS uncomfortable. I have a good friend who's son missed school often because of abdominal pain due to constipation. After YEARS of this intermittently, he was diagnosed with celiac disease. Now she is experiencing the joys of wheat free baking. Let's hope this is a one time thing for you!
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Especially for little boys who would rather play, run, jump, you name it, than go sit on the pot. We have had to make our 5yo sit on the toilet for 30 min or more so that this doesn't happen.....and yes, I unfortunately knew the answer(maybe cause I live the a Peditrican AND have a 5yo!)

Comment

Oh, the irony. We often lament that "$hit happens," yet when it doesn't...

Comment

Originally posted by uvagradk
            Oh, the irony. We often lament that "$hit happens," yet when it doesn't...

Fortunately, things have....moved along....and he's back to running, jumping and leaping through the house.

Matt, you're right....it is very difficult for us to get him to stop and sit on the potty...He is always sooo busy. If I am not really careful with him and force him to sit down, he still sometimes has accidents.

Lets hope this is not the beginning of anything like celiac disease. :!
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

We get so caught up in our kids' digestive patterns.
              When our son was born, our 2 YO daughter protested by holding it in for two full weeks. She finally couldn't withstand the pressure of some good old prescription strength GlycoLax snuck into her orange juice.
              Enabler of DW and 5 kids
              Let's go Mets!

Comment

Yep, I knw that one too. Mother of two and ER nurse!! Dried apricots always worked for my youngest, and she thought they were treats.
                Luanne
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I knew that one also....have lived through it too many times! Raisins are the miracle cure around here.

Sally
                  Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Yep, our oldest had some issues when she was about 2 that were making her absolutely miserable. We even had to give her a suppository once, which worked in a pinch. By the way, if you ever give your kid a suppository, make sure you do it in the bathroom near the toilet because the results are immediate!
                    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Working...
                    X