Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Charter Schools...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charter Schools...

crud...I just posted this big long thread and deleted it accidentally

I hate it when that happens.

The short version:

What experience do you guys have with charter schools? I attended a parent meeting for a charter school opening fall 2005 that will initially be k-5 and will expand to be k-12.

The good points? The school day is 8-3.30. Monday-Thursdays will be structured learning and Fridays the kids will put on skits (based on their readings during the week), have theater, art, music and tutoring for those who are behind. The kids will be tested when they come in and appropriate work loads will be assigned and this will be reevaluated every 6 weeks. In addition, they do a 90 days on/3 weeks off schedule to avoid the 3 1/2 months of lost knowledge that kids have during summer.

The bad points? They seemed disorganized and a tad unprofessional. It is a husband wife team. I didn't hear the husband's qualifications (though he will be principal) but the woman is a prof at our state u here in education. She talked on and on about publishing the results of this school and making the school a place where education students come to learn how to be good teachers, etc.

What really got to me was when I asked a question about whether or not they would offer a foreign language, the said that they were going to offer spanish because it was a 'useful' language, unlike 'german'. :| When the husband noticed that I was a little put off by that he added that he had 'nothing against german as he was german himself, etc'. Then one of the parents piped up though and added that german was "totally useless, let's be honest". So....being the PC person that I am :: I felt that I had to say that it depended on what part of the world you were in as to how useful the language was. So he said he was talking about having his kids be able to speak spanish here in MN...I wanted to scream: "Oh, I was talking about raising world citizens who could potentially communicate with customers in europe or africa etc. There is a world beyond North America". Ummm....aren't you glad I controlled myself.

In any case, I said that I speak german and teach it to kids at the germanic american institute as well as adults here in town and that I didn't think it was useless at all considering my husband is german and I met him in germany. So I ended up offering to teach german at the school if our kids go....as a volunteer...how did THAT happen?

The same parents who found german useless also told us all that their 5 year old had been reading since she was 3 and her favorite literature was shakespeare...ummm...yah, whatever.....

So...I did enroll the kids because I didn't want to miss out in case there was a chance that I wanted them to go. They still haven't picked a site though to build and they just seemed a bit unprofessional. I can't really pinpoint what bothered me about it other than to say that they rambled on and on, argued with each other from time to time (or at least they contradicted each other) etc.

I kept telling myself that they wouldn't be teaching and as long as they hired good teachers their ideas are good.

What are your thoughts on charter schools?

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

PS...they are using saxon math and core knowledge sequence. Does that mean anything to any of you?

Comment

I think that signing up so that you have a spot is a good thing. It's always easier to get out than in. And if this doesn't work out, at least there is some momentum in your community to have another schooling option.

Regarding your concerns, sounds like you will be spending some time there as the German tutor so you can keep an eye on them! :>

I like the....Since I met my GERMAN husband in GERMANY part. Probably helped that you could speak GERMAN with him, huh? (Emphasis mine. btw, is there some funky shift in the universe or are people just particularily annoying these days? A lady clipped my ankle, I swear on purpose in the store yesterday, and it was all I could do to keep my cool. ).

Comment

I have followed the charter school movement with interest. I think it has a LOT of potential, but I think there are some drawbacks, too. The biggest one I have heard is that charter schools take many kids who have been kicked out of regular classroom situations because of behavioral problems.

I would be very wary of a school whose leaders exhibit the lack of organization you described. (Sorry to be discouraging!) Ideas are great (and the ones the have sound wonderful) but they are pie in the sky if there is no one to figure out how to make it all happen. If I were you, I would find out if either of the two have actual classroom experience with children of a variety of ages and levels. If they are going to be hiring teachers, they need to know themselves what the job entails.

I don't know, Kris....this is just me....but I would have to see a solid track record of results before I would send my kids there. I'm not willing to experiment with my kids' education. (I don't think you are, either) Some of the most clueless profs I had in college were the education profs, I am sorry to say. Some of them were GREAT.....the ones who had actually taught in schools themselves....but many of the others were long on theory and short on practical advice. Be SURE about their experience.

Sally

PS.....I don't know anything about the core knowledge sequence, but I have heard great things about Saxon Math.
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

This is my concern too....It's just that I feel at this point that I have so few options available to me. I'm looking into the lutheran school, but it's pricey....and the public schools here aren't really an option anymore.

I expected to get resistance from my chidren when they found out where I went last night...instead, my daughter said "good..I don't like my school. The kids are just too mean."

So it boils down to 1. lutheran school (and that is then only for one child because we likely can't afford more) 2. charter school or 3 homeschooling.

My kids actually said they'd prefer homeschooling to going back to school next year....which is a real shocker. I just don't know if that's the best option for all of us.

Comment

Another tidbit that may be bad news...

The school will be funded by Friends of Ascension...

I'm reading through the papers right now. Their mission is 'saving children though education" and they started a similar school in the twin cities. 31.7% of the famlies were below the poverty level..76% were minority (not that I have a problem with minorities, people!). They basically support the core-knowledge sequence and sacon math programs.....

I just don't know what to do anymore. Will the real mommy please stand up?

Comment

Who would be harder to homeschool in your opinion, Amanda or Andrew?

Sally

Comment

Could you teach German at the Lutheran school in exchange for some of the tuition?
                Seing as how Luther was German...perhaps they would find it more relevant.

Starting a school in 5 months seems ambitious for even the most organized people, IMO.

Comment

Nellie has a really good idea there, Kris. You know, I get half of my oldest child's tuition paid in addition to my paltry salary for working pt. time at my kids' school. There is a discount for the second (third, fourth, etc.) child at the school, too....you might check that out. Often times there is a discount to be had if you pay everything up front instead of monthly, too..... (it is so easy to tell someone ELSE what to do, isn't it? )

To be very frank, we have BARELY made six figures during our four years in the Air Force, and we have fairly significant consumer debt and some student debt as well. A lot of fun money went out the window when our second child started Kindergarten last year and we had to pay tuition for TWO, but it has totally been worth it. And it led to me having the opportunity to teach there this year, when we took a 22K paycut by refusing the last Air Force bonus....I don't know how we could have kept the kids there otherwise.

Kris, I think you would be great at homeschooling....you do a lot of it already. I just think it would be a LOT of work. But I think it would be a better option for you all than the charter school to be honest. It sounds like there is a good co-op there, which, according to my homeschool friends, is an awesome resource.

Look at your budget, consider your options, talk to Thomas, and then....follow your heart.

Sally

Comment

Regarding the charter school - listen to Sally. She has the same concerns about organization and track records that I have. This particular charter school sounds interesting - but to be honest there is a large homeschooling co-op about 45 minutes away from me whose set-up seems a bit more appealing (unfortunately I don't want to drive that far ). The difference between that charter school and the co-op seems to be that the parents have much more control at the co-op (ie no principle but there are rules for admission, class size, etc - it's set up much like a community college with kids of all ages taking what they want at the maturity level best suited for them). Parents must volunteer to teach a class a semester (ie you would probably be teaching a science course or German) and you can pull out at any time if things aren't meeting your expectations. I wonder if I can find a large, well-organized homeschooling co-op in your area with some research.... Hmmmm....

Saxon math and the Core Knowledge series are actually curriculums used quite often by homeschoolers. I don't use either curriculum because I'm happy with what we currently use. But, they seem to be hot tools in the homeschooling community right now.

Let me know what you decide with the homeschooling thing. I can point you to some books to read on the subject (or just send you mine) over the summer to help you research prior to making a firm decision....

Otherwise, I'd have to agree that you should try getting the private school tuition knocked down significantly in exchange for teaching a class or two there.

Jennifer
                    Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                    With fingernails that shine like justice
                    And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

The charter schools in DC have nearly all run into financial or management porblems in the few years that they've been open. It's not unlike what happens when social workers decide to open their own agencies- no business sense. Teachers are not necessarily good administrators.

There has also been a very high turnover for the teachers because of the uncertainty of the schools.

Conceptually there are some interesting ideas but people need to be able to flesh things out BEFORE the kids get there.

Jenn

Comment

Well, we've found out a little bit more.

Apparently, the school received a huge grant that guarantees operation for 3 years.

Thomas is calling the MN dept. of education next week to find out what he can.

To add to this, Amanda has been very down for the last two days. Whe finally confessed that she is 'afraid to go back to school on Monday' because "oh, mommy, the kids are just so mean".

~sigh

Comment

My kids actually said they'd prefer homeschooling to going back to school next year
                          Kris,

My stomach lurches reading this. I have no advice, just sending out love and hope your way. I feel for you, my friend.

Kelly
                          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Edit

Jennifer
                            Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                            With fingernails that shine like justice
                            And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Working...
                            X