Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Music recommendations for toddler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music recommendations for toddler?

I'm listening to Raffi right now! My kids love Day-O and the 6 Little Ducks Song.
    And They Might Be Giants "No No No" is a favorite.

I like kids music that I can listen to without noticing its for kids...

TMBG, Taj Mahal, Carol King. Sweet Honey in the Rock, Jerry Garcia, John Lithgow,Kenny Loggins, Leadbelly, Pete Seeger, Woody Guthrie, Ella Jenkins(there is a tribute album by various artists) all put out kids albums.

"A Child's Celebration of Song" "for our children" "free to be you and me" and "the Point"are also good.

Comment

I loved "The Point" when I was little!!! My youngest one has discovered Laurie Berkner....he got a cd for Christmas, and we ALL enjoyed listening to it during our recent road trip to Indiana and back.

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

CD

The Sounds Like Fun tape/CD from Discovery Toys.

I can have all three kids in the car--my 2YO plus her 2YO cousin and the 1YO I babysit--all three screaming. I turn on that tape and it's like MAGIC.

HTH!

Carrie

Comment

I second everyone's ideas (particularly TMBG and....did anyone say Trout Fishing in America-the best!!!?). They are great if *you* are listening too. We have this CD called "Daydreams and Lullabies" that always put the kids to sleep when they were little. It is part classical with lullabies and poetry for children. For fingerplays: I have a book called Baby Games by Elaine Martin that seems to have everything ever thought of in it . There are some other fingerplay books as well. (Probably CDs too!) Maybe you could check them out at the library. Also, if you can download try out the music services online. I was surprised at how much children's music I could get on iTunes.
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

We all love Pete Seeger (I sometimes listen to this one even when DD is not around) and TMBG. DD loves Raffi, though my tolerance isn't what it used to be. We go to the library once a week and pick out a tape or two to 'preview'. If we like it, I get it on ebay or Amazon.

edit: I forgot 'Golden Slumbers: A Father's Lullaby'. Its soft music with some singing. Its our 'magic' CD like someone else mentioned. It puts DD to sleep 100% of the time.

Comment

We like Laurie Berkner, too....a friend gave me the CD to change things up from the Wiggles Believe me, it was a welcome change!

Comment

What do you think of the Wiggles? I've been avoiding them. They seem to be a little over the top, from what limited exposure I've had. Though I'm sure kids love it.

Comment

My friend's kid always fell asleep to Metallica...and wouldn't you know he's the 11 year old with the mohawk!!? (But he gets really good grades and plays soccer and hockey!)

Jenn

Comment

Ethan is madly addicted to the Wiggles. Even if he's pitching the biggest temper tantrum of all time, I just turn them on and he STOPS completely and starts "dancing". The only problem is that the songs get stuck in my head and I go absolutely mad when they run through my head while I'm at work...

DH and I are big TMBG fans and were thrilled when their first kids CD came out around the time of Ethan's birth. We just got their new ABC's CD and it's terribly clever. But we play all their stuff for Ethan and he really likes it.

But right now, Ethan's favorite of Mommy's CDs is Gwen Stefani--I have to skip around since some of the songs have *gasp* bad words, but he bops his head along with the music when we're in the car.

Comment

Lately, we've been listenint to Veggie Tales. We also have a couple CDs by Sarah Brightman for toddlers. My dd loves those too. I've heard good things about Laura Berkner, but we don't have any of her stuff.

Comment

I like the Disney movie soundtracks especially Mary Popins and Finding Nemo. We are also big fans of Sesame Street, Raffi, and Playhouse Disney. The Pottery Barn Kids (very expensive but we received them as gifts) CDs are GREAT! We have three of them and they are favorites in our stash!

I guess we listen to the Wiggles too!! We LOVE our music!
                        Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Working...
                        X