Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Bullying and when to step in...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullying and when to step in...

We have had a relatively bully-free time for quite awhile and I guess we pretty much felt like things were under control. Andrew was acting happy and 'normal'...and you could tell that he really felt good.

Then last week, he came home from school and walked in the door and was screaming at me and Thomas (who was also home). He eventually fell onto the sofa sobbing and the story spilled out. He had worn sweatpants and during art had put his hand in his pocket. One of the kids in his class said "oooh, gross, andrew put his hands down his pants and touched himself <graphic description leftout>" and about 1/2 the class started in.

The art teacher didn't know what happened, but just ended up writing all of the kids up for acting up without finding out the details. He was in a word....devastated...and blamed himself with a "why did I put my hand in my pocket..I could have had a good day, but NO, I HAD to put my hand in my pocket". When I asked him if it was possible if he had 'accidentally' put his hand in his pants, he started screaming "what do you think I am, a pervert?" and sobbing again.

So...I called the art teacher who pretty much told me that kids are mean to each other and need to learn to handle it...though she did call his teacher and repot the incident to him as well.

I'm pretty much beside myself about all of this...I just don't know how to help anymore and I have become short-tempered and frustrated with Andrew even though I know it isn't his fault. He can just be so akward though and I know that the kids pick him out as a target because of it.

Amanda told me that when she goes to pick him up after school the kids are often teasing him and sometimes he just really doesn't realize that they are making fun of him and not being friendly.

She also told me that she sits alone at recess every day because her friends won't play with her/include her if the big group of girls is playing. She is affectionately dubbed 'reading freak' by her classmates because she literally always has a book in her hand...and I'm sure that reading at recess doesn't help.

I feel like I've had it and yet so many parents basically say "teasing is a part of life"....Do I just...accept this and keep sending my kids to the schools here? What the heck should I do?

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I feel like I've had it and yet so many parents basically say "teasing is a part of life"....Do I just...accept this
    This is not the standard within the three school districts I have used. (MD, MA, OH). I would not accept this as normal. More and more school districts are introducing programs against teasing and bullying - particularly since Columbine. You should investigate nationwide anti-bullying programs and approach your guidance counselor and administration. They have to have a better attitude. Here, our school uses "Peaceful Schools". I know there are other nationwide campaigns as well. I do not think your experience is acceptable. Occasional teasing between kids (and adults ) is expected, but targeting of particular children is cruel. JMHO.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I would be in the office OR I would write a letter describing, in detail, the incident you described. Not only was that bullying, it could be termed sexual harrassment. The squeaky wheel...... (sad but true)

Luke has gone through his share of teasing from a particular (small) group of boys for two years now. His teachers have been aware of it and for the most part Luke has handled it okay, but a couple of weeks ago, they were taunting him when he was attempting to play goalie during a soccer game. His team captain had told him to play goalie, but these boys (on the other team) told him he couldn't play goalie because he didn't know how to block shots. He said that he could, and they said prove it, and got one of their lackeys to kick a ball in so Luke could prove he could block it. He caught it, and with his hands still on it, he looked up and said "what do you think of that?" While he was saying that, another boy kicked the ball (while Luke's hands were still on it) which knocked him over. The boys all laughed and one of them said "what do YOU think of that?" So Luke tackled him. He didn't punch him, but I wouldn't have blamed him if he had. He and that boy got sent to the office. Luke didn't realize it, but his leg had a cut and a FOOTPRINT from when the second boy kicked the ball. The ass't principal gave both of them "silent lunch" which I didn't have a huge problem with, except for the fact that there were four boys taunting him, and only one (the one Luke tackled) was punished. So I called and asked what her understanding of the situation was, told her I felt Luke's punishment was fair, but then gave her the expanded version of the situation and the history of the past 2+ years. She was shocked and ended up calling the other boys to the office the next day, where the whole story came out. Luke has walked away for 2 years, HE is the one who ended up bleeding, and I have had it. I will advocate for him no matter what from here on out. The ass't principal told me at one point that the other boys are jealous of Luke because he is smart and goes to a different grade for math......I said, so they are justified in doing what they have done just because Luke exists? I reminded her that before Luke was pulled out for math, he was bored and got in trouble ALL the time, and was made fun of for that, too. A couple of other funny things....Luke is the youngest boy in his class, and the biggest. He is NOT a tattle-tale, nor has he ever been physically aggressive, even in his defense, until this time. He seriously could take those other boys OUT if he got it in his head, and I think they know it.

Anyway, this is only a small group of boys and not everyone, but it has been a hard thing for Luke. I think the fact that we told him we weren't upset at him about the whole thing helped. Private school is no guarantee, that's for sure, although I do believe that I got a better response from the ass't principal and the teachers than I would have at public school.

Sorry for the hijack!

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I agree with Sally, this could be considered sexual harassment.

These kids are supposed to be learning to be adults. Such behavior is incredibly and utterly reprehensible in adults (not to mention possibly criminal) and should never be tolerated in children. The stuff that Sally described happening to her own child should have been called in to the police as a physical assault - because that is EXACTLY what it was.

No wonder our prisons are filling up so rapidly....

Seriously, look into the "anti-bullying" stuff that Angie mentioned. It's appalling what these kids are getting away with (and, thus, learning is "allowable" in society)!

Jennifer
        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
        With fingernails that shine like justice
        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I feel for both of your guys, Kris and Sally! It does sound like it was time to step in in both situations. I have no advice, only empathy as I endured a period of "ostracization" during my junior high years. I remember reading after the Columbine incident that bullying is at an all time high during the Spring months, as the school year draws to a close.
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I've pretty much given up with the current school...so in order to make a decision, I have decided to go directly to the middle school that Andrew would be attending next year. I think I will simply make an appointment with the principal and go in and have a heart-to-heart and scope this out ahead of time.

The biggest problem here is that there is no accountability for the kids...at least the 4th graders. They only get a 'talking to' when these things happen. Parents are never called. Amanda, on the other hand, was teased by two boys in her class and the teacher made the boys write "I'm Sorry" cards and have them signed by their parents before they gave them to her.

Sally,

That is really terrible about Luke. I hope that the talking to that those boys got from the asst. principal will scare them enough to shape up. Poor Luke!!!

kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Oh these stories make me so sad!!! I put myself in the shoes of a parent whose child is being bullied and I just wince.

If someone was doing that to my children (and it will be me someday more than likely -- kids can be so mean) it would be very hard to handle the situation appropriately.

I was a "good kid" in elementary school until someone harassed my little brother off campus. I was in 6th grade, he was a first grader and we walked home together. A boy in my grade was picking on him (not knowing he was my brother interestingly enough) and to make a long story short I warned him twice and we walked away each time (my brother was in tears both times) and on the third time, I punched him and bloodied his nose.

Because I was a good kid, a girl, and the situation was off campus I didn't get in trouble by the school but the respective parents talked and came to some understanding of the situation. My parents were shocked I hit another kid. I basically said I warned the boy twice -- threatened violence -- and then I socked him. Picking on a kid so much younger than him was cowardly and I said as much. I got the whole "hitting is never right" speech but my parents were both secretly a little pleased that I stuck up for my little brother AND warned the kid before I socked him. I did get punished but it was a "token" punishment that said "hitting is wrong but sticking up for your bother is always a good thing."

I think teasing with a sexual component can be even more destructive than a situation which leads to violence. I was horribly teased when a gym teacher seemed to "favor" me (not in an icky way) and some boys who were jealous made it into a sexual thing. I was in 4th grade and repeated some of the things they said to me to my mom. Well the $%@^ hit the fan then (I really didn't know what any of it meant at that time -- I was asking for information ironically) and the parents of the boys denied that their boys would say anything that crass and I must have made it up. It was a sad lesson for me to learn -- that adults can be as slimy as their kids. I also always felt wierd around that gym teacher after that and what could have been a mentoring relationship was turned into an uncomfortable hour at gym. Sad.

Hang in there parents. I think at the very least I would insist on a paper trail every time there is a situation so future teachers/administrators can have some idea what the history is. I hope I can help my children manage the little $#%@! they encounter in school as they grow up. I also hope that I do everything in my power to raise children who DON'T bully other kids.
              Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Working...
              X