Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Paying babysitters...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying babysitters...

So what is the going rate for babysitters nowa days? We have mostly been swapping sitting with other couples for our sanity dates, but after the move, we should be (knock on wood!!) having some more time for dates and I thought I should scout out some sitters as soon as possible so that we can make dating a habit once again .

Jen B.

$10 an hour seems to be the going rate here for one toddler....(not that we've actually USED a sitter! )

Comment

We pay between $6 to $10. $6 for a high school aged kid and on up for a college student or nanny (who babysits at night). That is for 2 kids.

Comment

In Boston it was $10 an hour. In Ohio, our sitter told us $4/hour. We just couldn't do that after paying $10/hr in Boston so we give her $6.50. She likes us now . I think it depends on the local economy and the age of your sitter. Teens are cheaper unless they are in very high demand. For very young children, I'd probably want a college age person or a very experienced teen.
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

College students get at least $9.
          HSers get $7.
          Middle schoolers $5.

Comment

Is that rate per child?? Wow - $10/hour/child - we'd be in the poor house before the main course came for our dinner out .

Jen B.

Comment

WHAT?? I'm with Jen! Man....we pay our sitter $8/hour and that's for 4 children. My goodness...she's 16. I thought we were giving her a lot of money.

kris
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

My amount for $10 per hour total for 2 kids or $8/hr for one -- then less depending on age/experience. If we had three, I think I would still pay the same.

Comment

In Boston - the sitter was $8/hr for one, $10/hr for two and $12/hr for three. One time, we left her with a "slumber party" of 6 kids and had a dinner party with 3 other couples at another house in the neighborhood. We gave her $20/hr for that (split across all couples) and she was thrilled. In Ohio, my$6.50/hr is for both my kids, but the babysitter here isn't as interactive with the kids. I wish I could have packed my sitter in Boston in a box when we moved.
                  Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                  Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Maybe I should go back to sitting! I think that would pay more than being a vet!
                    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by Michele2005
                      Maybe I should go back to sitting! I think that would pay more than being a vet!
                      No kidding!! $10/hour to babysit? We pay $4/hour, which is pretty standard here. Friends who have more than one kid just pay $1/hour more for each additional kid. We give a little more if we're gone for an extra long time or if the sitter can come over with little notice. And even at $4/hour we don't use sitters much. It costs enough to go on a date!!

Comment

We pay $7 an hour.
                        Mom to three wild women.

Comment

I think I overpay. I pay $12 per hour for anybody responsible enough to actually drive to mhy houe. I pay $5 for the age 10ish girls that are more like mother's helpers.
                          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

We pay college students who drive $10/hr and our 18 yo HS girl $8 for 2 kids. A 15yo in our neighborhood charges $5/hr.
                            Needs

Comment

I agree with what has been said, it depends on who does the driving and the age/experience of the sitter. We have had one sitter this year who was a teacher with a degree in early education. We gave her $50 for 5 hours. Needless to say, that was probably it for the year. Still, I don't feel comfortable leaving infant dd with our 14 year old sitter who is fantastic for my 5 y.o.. Peace of mind is worth something.

Our now defunct baby sitting coop was FANTASTIC. If you can get one of these going, do it. They can be hard to come by, however.

Kelly
                              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                              X