Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Kids in your programs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids in your programs?

There were a few people with kids during residency but since this was a peds residency, there were TONS of kids of staff that attended all of the events. and no one cared. Mostly they all played pass the babies and everyone had a great time. When I planned the holiday parties, we made sure to have babysitters available so that the parents could leave them if they wanted to. (Some did, some didn't because we charged per child for the babysitter)

The fellowship is different- there is no socializing (other than a graduation banquet next Saturday) so we only hang out with one other person and he and his wife have a 3 month old.

I would have been pretty annoyed at the skit, too. They did really funny skits at each graduation, but they targeted the person and their oddities, not their families!!

Jeez-

Jenn

Real nice skit....

This was a bigger issue in the IM program than derm. Three other residents have kids (2, 1, 3, plus our 2 = 8 kids). The more casual functions tend to be kid friendly. Of course there is the fancy-schmancy banquets or entertain out of town speakers dinners that are not, but that is understandable and ok. Spouses aren't always invited to those so I don't go much. I'm not going to pay $40 plus a babysitter to sit at a banquet until 3rd year!
    In the IM progam, I don't remember....but in DH's smaller subset I know we were the only ones w/ a child and there weren't many in the larger program. In the smaller group of residents in DH's sub-program, get togethers got to be a pain. As you said, they started late and most people thought a 1-2 yo was "portable" like an infant. (Hellllooo guys, remember your peds rotation? ). My favorite was a fondue dinner, with two fondue pots on rickety tables and the pointy sticks....that didn't get served until 8 pm....needless to say, we left early and took home our tired eager to climb and grab toddler.

Jenn -- hiring sitters -- you are awesome!

Comment

Wow, Laura...that would have floored me!

We have also had people ask if we are catholic or say "you know how to prevent that now, don't you" or "you aren't planning on having any more, are you?" (I admit that I sometimes respond by saying "actually, we're planning on starting now on the B's"...all of our 4 children have names that start with A :> )

People can be so rude.

kris
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

We have a pretty family friendly program, I think. 2 residents per year

PGY-5's - one has 2 kids and one on the way, the other has one kid and one on the way

PGY-4's - one has two kids, One has one kid and one on the way

PGY-3's - both single

PGY-2's - one single, one engaged

PGY-1's - us with 2 kids, the other married plans for kids sometime

incoming interns - both single

That said some of our events are kid friendly, but we don't have that many events. The one even that they have every year is a dinner for the graduating residents. Kids are not invited.
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Of the 18 residents in DH's program I'd say about half of them have children. I think we have a good mix of 'family-friendly' functions (like BBQs) and 'grown-up' activities (like poker night), although we don't really hang out that much with the other residents. Speaking of skits, they actually did a short bit on DH one year making reference to the fact that he doesn't socialize as much as the other residents by saying that I keep his, uh, testicles at home in a jar.
          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Originally posted by migirl
            I keep his, uh, testicles at home in a jar.
            I am proud of that fact, and the sooner everyone learns it, the easier it will be! I own his free time! :>
            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Oh wow

All I can say is its a good thing they DON"T have kids, because they seem to need some parenting themselves

Comment

During transition (intern) year my husband was the only resident with kids (3 at that point with the fourth born that year).

With his residency we were the only people with children (4) up until very recently - and this is a good-size program (I think they currently have about 25 or so residents right now). Jon says he gets teased about it but since he blows so much of it off he doesn't encounter it too much anymore. I think that he prefers to spend his time with the attendings with wives and kids.

As to our program's activities: They are pretty much exclusively for adults only if they are done by or for the residents. The activities and parties done by the attendings are overwhelmingly kid-friendly and FUN (for adults and children). I always have a great time if it is an attending throwing a personal party or having a get-together. I pretty much find myself having a lousy time (and the children bored to tears) if it is something planned by any residents.

Jennifer
                Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                With fingernails that shine like justice
                And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Laura,

Yes. When we started here, DH was the only categorical who was married let alone had a child. 5 years down the road now several are married and some have infants. But it was a lonely road to go for all of us in the begining.

I'm sorry that people suck so much sometimes.

Kelly
                  In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Laura, our program, and not just the program, all the programs at this hospital are exactly the opposite. Kids are every where. Not having them myself I feel rather out of place at some things but not many. What kills me though is the people that see we don't have kids and start telling us when we will.

Not having kids I would still be appalled about doing that to someone else in our program. I think that's really rude.
                    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Working...
                    X